visualisation vs understanding vs memorisation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riDer

ooohhh right!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so which is better.n i my experiance i perform better when i visualise the material rather than understanding or just making sure the material makes sense. what methods of study do you use?

Members don't see this ad.

Visualisation is very beneficial when it comes to classes like histo, biochem. I find that I have often superior comprehension of the material when compared to my classmates, but I always end up near the average so...Understanding is great b/c you will be able to apply this in the clinical setting, but is not the best way to do well on exams.

Understand the material to the greatest depth realistically possible as you're studying. Obviously, knowing 100% of everything inside out would be great, but it's not going to happen for most of us (and would only arguably produce a better clinician in the end, anyway).

There may be things that you either 1) can't figure out well enough to develop a good visualization technique or 2) can't figure out at all, period. You have to cut your losses with these, and just memorize as much as you can (ex. know the vocabulary, memorize some basic facts & as many associations as you can). This method can yield surprisingly good results on a multiple choice exam, even without a great understanding of the material (*thinks fondly back to BS section of MCAT*).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think a combination would be best..or at least for me its what works.....1st study to understand and visualize....then right before the test only memorize the the details (ie bull$hit minutia) that you can't place into the realm of understanding (w/i a reasonable amt. of time)....this has been working very well for me so far..

Depends what you're studying...

Pharm needs to be memorized, nuff said...You can visualize all you want but if you don't know side effects and toxicities of drugs, you don't know them, they can't be reasoned out on the spot when you're in emerg and orders need to be written...

Physiology and Pathology can be visual and reasoned out sometimes.

You'll also find in clinicals that you need to memorize differential diagnosis frameworks too. There's nothing around knowing all the major causes of chest pain and knowing how to rule them out when you see a patient.

If you can figure out when to use which study methods you'll be gold and will learn to enjoy medical school more. Realize that you need to be good at everything: visualizing, memorizing, reasoning, Bull****ing, etc....

Mike59 said:
Depends what you're studying...

Pharm needs to be memorized, nuff said...You can visualize all you want but if you don't know side effects and toxicities of drugs, you don't know them, they can't be reasoned out on the spot when you're in emerg and orders need to be written...

Physiology and Pathology can be visual and reasoned out sometimes.

You'll also find in clinicals that you need to memorize differential diagnosis frameworks too. There's nothing around knowing all the major causes of chest pain and knowing how to rule them out when you see a patient.

If you can figure out when to use which study methods you'll be gold and will learn to enjoy medical school more. Realize that you need to be good at everything: visualizing, memorizing, reasoning, Bull****ing, etc....
agree 100%