VMCAS ..how far along are you? C/O 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHeartGoldens

TUSVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals

As I sit here inputting *ALL* my classes into their forms, I'm wondering how far along everyone else is with their app.:sleep:

Any words of encouragment?
This is just for general discussion,gumbling,whining,complaining,celebrating,gloating about their VMCAS status:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Everything but personal statement and explanation statement is finished on the main VMCAS app!

Those two are the hardest part. :(

Any words of encouragment?

Hey, I<3Goldens. :rolleyes: lets see....you won't ever have to input your coursework ever again into VMCAS because...

a) you will get accepted this year! Celebratory bonfire anyone?

b) VMCAS finally fixed their software so it saves all of your info for the next application. :cool:

But, your not going to need it anyway....because (see option A).

:luck: to Everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything but personal statement and explanation statement is finished on the main VMCAS app!

Those two are the hardest part. :(

Same here pretty much, except I've got the explanation statement. I have no idea where to start on the personal statement. I hate writing essays, I end up spending half my time just writing the intro. Other than that, I just need to take the GRE and wait for my evaluators to write their letters.

Everything plugged in except personal statement (in final editing/showing people stages), explanation statement (not sure if I'll need one yet), GRE stuff (taking it early August), possible fourth evaluator. I'm a bit worried because you're not supposed to send your supplementals until you've submitted the VMCAS application and I'm afraid my evaluators may procrastinate. Also, my possible fourth evaluator (whose recommendation I would really like because she is in the field I'm most interested in) is reserving judgement on writing me a LOR until I'm done working with her at the end of the summer. :scared: :scared: :scared: anybody?
As a side note, I think it's a little silly to have to pay $60 for the Penn supplemental which consists of name, top interests in vet med, whether any of your family members are Penn grads or veterinarians, and GPA. Seriously, that's it.

i have everything except the personal statement and 2 LOR's. i have a foundation of a personal statement and several people are reading it/giving me feedback, but i'm sure it will change many more times before i actually submit it. :) besides, i won't be submitting it at all if i don't get it together with the GRE nonsense. ;)

Really? Is that the case for all/most schools with supplementals?

Go to the AAVMC website to double check, but my schools all said something along the line of "the supplemental application may be submitted at any time after the VMCAS is completed."

No PS yet (not even started! :smuggrin:) and no experiences yet, but I saved the ones last time so I can just copy/paste/tweak most of it. Also no LORs - I'm going to ask everyone in August because I know they'll be timely (I'm sure of this) and I want to make sure that one of them knows me as well as possible first.

I was trucking along at an awesome speed- right up until I had to write about me. Personal statement, experiences, "why you should pick me", etc. Why is this so difficult? It's not like it's foreign material!

(sigh) And I thought adding the coursework was the PIA part...

I got all excited when they opened the application, then stopped. Ugh. Glad now that I did because I keep doing things that I can add to my app. Now waiting a little longer to talk to my Vet references about the letter.

I'm done with everything but my PS. Probably still going to wait until later to submit the application just to let volunteer hours and such build up as much as possible. And it might just take me that long to finish my PS. :bang:

I'm done with everything but my PS. Probably still going to wait until later to submit the application just to let volunteer hours and such build up as much as possible. And it might just take me that long to finish my PS. :bang:

At least when I applied if you left the end date blank it filled in to present so if you are continuing a job you can do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only have my experiences and explanation left...

and OH YEA...i still have to finalize my school choices--ugh

All you guys talking about finishing writing/editing your personal statements has kicked my butt in gear and I've just spent the last 3 hours pounding out a rough draft, which I feel pretty good about but it still needs a decent amount of work.

I think everything for me is filled out except courses that are in progress, my personal statement, and explaination statement or whatever its called.

Now I get to repeat with the Tufts application! Fun!

I still have to input a few experiences, some classes, my PS, explanation statement and one ELOR. Then I still have all the supplementals, I have to retake the GRE, I took it last year and it was HARD! So I need to improve my scores. And I have to apply to WICHE because there are no vet schools in AZ. :bang:

Oh right! and you just reminded me that I need to still solicit recommendations from some people (Cornells policy of needing an evaluation from EACH veterinary experience listed is really quite frustrating).

and I need to re-take the GREs. Unfortunately I am applying to veterinary school at the exact time that my previous GRE scores will expire (damn 5 year expiration date). So yeah. Once I finish up re-taking my Organic Chemistry classes (A in Orgo I! now on to Orgo II!) I have to study for the GREs. THEN I will be closer to done.

Oh right! and you just reminded me that I need to still solicit recommendations from some people (Cornells policy of needing an evaluation from EACH veterinary experience listed is really quite frustrating).

I remember reading that they want a letter from each veterinary AND animal experience... PLEASE tell me I'm wrong... If it were not for Cornell being my IS, I wouldn't even be bothering at this point... so annoying!

Here's a question for you all... have you requested GRE scores or transcripts to be sent yet or are you waiting until closer to the time you submit your VMCAS? I have 3 transcripts, but only 1 is ongoing (still taking classes at that university) so theoretically I could have transcripts from the other 2 schools sent now, but I don't want anything to get lost if it arrives way in advance of the rest of my application. I had this problem while applying to graduate schools 2 years ago. What do you all think?

I was definitely planning on having all completed transcripts sent out ASAP. I would rather have them sent out now and have only a few lost that I need to sort out, than wait until later and try to rush them all out if any get lost.

Finally finished entering all of the coursework. It took forever! PS is the hardest part for me! I have a few people reviewing it now. Isn't it hard to try and "sell yourself"??!

Good luck to everyone!

I still have to take the GRE (again. I hate, hate, hate the verbal section!) but from what I understand on the ETS website is that all GRE scores taken within the last 5 years will be automatically sent to the schools that you put in when you take the exam. Which is awesome! I am going to call them tomorrow to verify that and be sure. I had my transcripts mailed to me. I would like to mail everything at one time and certified so I can be sure I have everything together and so I can get a signature on it when it arrives. I am so glad I am not applying to Cornell it would be very difficult to hunt down everyone veterinary and animal experience to get letters. :luck: to everyone!! :D

I like to wait until I've completed the supplimental apps for each school before sending transcripts/GRE scores. The way I understand it, at least for UT, submitting the supplimental application is the point where they offically open a file for you.

If you have things on you're record that look bad, but that you have a good explanation for, put it in the explanation statement.

I agree that the PS is a PITA! *le sigh*
That's the only part not finished yet, and I figure that I'll update the experiences as time goes on.

And why do some schools that accept the VMCAS ALSO require you to input school work in their supplemental applications?! BLAH!! I already told you!! Just look at my application!! Look at my transcripts!! Stop making me input my coursework all over again!!!! Don't you realize I'm a graduate student with 9 years worth of courses to enter?! ugh.

And why do some schools that accept the VMCAS ALSO require you to input school work in their supplemental applications?! BLAH!! I already told you!! Just look at my application!! Look at my transcripts!! Stop making me input my coursework all over again!!!! Don't you realize I'm a graduate student with 9 years worth of courses to enter?! ugh.
Same here. I have seven transcripts and they want me to enter all that crap repeatedly. Grrrrrrr

Plugging away at VMCAS and starting to tire of the process just a little bit. I've got the personal statement and the animal/veterinary experiences left to do. Transcripts and GRE records are sent, evaluators are entered, and all but one supplemental is done. No wonder people are ready to tear their hair out over this thing!

Plugging away at VMCAS and starting to tire of the process just a little bit. I've got the personal statement and the animal/veterinary experiences left to do. Transcripts and GRE records are sent, evaluators are entered, and all but one supplemental is done. No wonder people are ready to tear their hair out over this thing!

Haha and this isn't even the fun part! We've got a few dreadful months ahead of us
:eek:

Haha and this isn't even the fun part! We've got a few dreadful months ahead of us
:eek:

I know! The waiting for months and months is going to be sooooo painful! Plus, the idea of interviews are already freaking me out. :scared:

I know! The waiting for months and months is going to be sooooo painful! Plus, the idea of interviews are already freaking me out. :scared:

the idea of NOT getting interviews is freaking ME out. ;) or maybe not having a complete application - that's where my nightmares stem from currently.

Here's a question for you all... have you requested GRE scores or transcripts to be sent yet or are you waiting until closer to the time you submit your VMCAS? I have 3 transcripts, but only 1 is ongoing (still taking classes at that university) so theoretically I could have transcripts from the other 2 schools sent now, but I don't want anything to get lost if it arrives way in advance of the rest of my application. I had this problem while applying to graduate schools 2 years ago. What do you all think?

Be careful! Some schools require that you have your GRE scores and transcripts sent directly to you. They should then be sealed and mailed in a "supplemental application packet", which also includes the supplemental application and fee. Check the websites of your designated schools to be safe. This is a pain in the butt since you can't have the 4 GRE score copies, that are included in your testing fee, sent to yourself. But, it will be great because you can send it via certified mail and know that all of your materials were received! ;)

the idea of NOT getting interviews is freaking ME out. ;) or maybe not having a complete application - that's where my nightmares stem from currently.

lol. I'm in the same boat. I had a hilarious nightmare the other day about making a frantic U turn on the interstate because I left the school before my interview time and then bawling in the Dean's office to let me have another one. :scared: :laugh:

lol. I'm in the same boat. I had a hilarious nightmare the other day about making a frantic U turn on the interstate because I left the school before my interview time and then bawling in the Dean's office to let me have another one. :scared: :laugh:

haha NO!!! that's horrible. i don't know how people actually sleep the week before their interviews. i'd be having dreams like this constantly.

Pretty much done at this point. Finished the PS statement yesterday.

I put some of my experience/work/award info in the wrong order (not current to old) so I need to go in and redo that. Also debating if I really need to but high school stuff on their as that was 10+ years ago for me. Other then that it is done. Also 2/3 evaluators have already submitted their LOR which is nice.

Actually it makes my stomach turn to realize how close I am to hitting the submit button. Then it is on to getting the transcript, GRE, and supplemental app stuff done.

if we started a new experience recently (almost 2 months into working on the vmcas) do we have to delete all of the other experiences in order to re-list them in chronological order?

if we started a new experience recently (almost 2 months into working on the vmcas) do we have to delete all of the other experiences in order to re-list them in chronological order?
I was wondering the same thing about putting the "community activities" in order from most important to least. I really, really don't want to have to go in and redo them :(.

I was wondering the same thing about putting the "community activities" in order from most important to least. I really, really don't want to have to go in and redo them :(.

me neither. and my two most important community activities are ones i started recently, but they are on the bottom b/c they are the last ones i entered. :(

I can't keep my explanation statement under 2000 characters. It's impossible. I don't want to leave out any more, I'm at 1900 and haven't even talked about changes I made in grad school yet. :(

I can't keep my explanation statement under 2000 characters. It's impossible. I don't want to leave out any more, I'm at 1900 and haven't even talked about changes I made in grad school yet. :(

You can PM it to me if you want and I'll help you out.

I just finally finished the intro for my PS and now I'm stuck, don't know where to go from there. Ugh this sucks! Also, I feel quite lame as I've never gotten any awards/honors besides Dean's List.

No scholarships?

I don't think I made Dean's List... if I did, I'm not aware. Lol.

I have bits and pieces of a PS... like, the relevant information, and maybe a paragraph... now to pick what goes in and what doesn't... urk.

I haven't started the PS yet. I can't decide how I want to start it or what theme I want to follow. Like do I want to make it funny or do I want to tell a story or what not. I am really starting to stress over this part because I am not good at writing about myself. :scared:

I've hardly done anything, since GRE studying has been taking up all my 'vet school application' time, but the PS is the main part i'm still missing. I'm pretty sure i'll start off with a little story and describe how it influenced my descision to become a vet/what type of vet. Of course, there will be some "resume" info in there, but I think I can avoid simply listing off the things i've done. I'm still working out the kinks of an outline, but i'm almost ready to open the word document for the first time (as ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes thats the hardest part for me).

Hey Hey,

Just wondering if anyone would like to trade PS for some good ol timey peer review fun! Just message me. Thanks!

Im finished with the VMCAS application....yet I have not hit submit for 3 days feel like I may miss something or make some terrible mistake.. well theres always tomm

Im finished with the VMCAS application....yet I have not hit submit for 3 days feel like I may miss something or make some terrible mistake.. well theres always tomm

If you haven't yet, print out your app and go through it slowly. I almost didn't do this, but I had extra time like you and I ended up making about 5 silly corrections. Who knows, maybe finding those last couple stupid mistakes will be difference between you looking better than another student and making it, or not.

Good luck!

In theory I should be hitting the submit button this weekend. Tomorrow's paycheck goes towards the fees (arrgh) and I have it printed out and am going through final grammar and spelling stuff. Very scary stuff.

Has anyone been brave enough to hit submit yet?