Is Voiding a good strategy for the new Mcat in my case ?

• YES ! , why not, nothing to lose...

• NO ! , will produce zero insight

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 15, 2014
Ilex Forest
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay, I read and used my search function, but didnt see any good answers. especially no consideration for the new test.

Some say its a waste of time, others say the most anxiety-ridden students should do this.

I need practice with things in order to get used to them. I have had anxiety about the MCAT for years now. lol. yes years. I think sitting in will kind of make it less stressful.

I could really get a handle on how my concentration works over 7.5 hours. When my energy dips. if having snacks between helps. Will I need the breaks given. Bladder/food issues.

I also would gain insight to things that cannot be verbally discussed or explained from a first-person view.

I am not taking the MCAT this year. so the x3 tries in a year would not apply to me.

Medical shools will never see the attempt if voided.

Mainly the reason I want to do this is because: exposure to new test and material, that would give me a multidimensional view on what lies ahead and how to study.

Money is not a factor at all in this. I could even fee waive my first attempt.

[e] I have taken all the prereqs at this point after this semester.

Last edited:

winter25

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2015
Status
Optometry Student
I say no. The point of doing practice exams is reviewing the content you got wrong and learning from it. When you void the MCAT, you can't do that. I guess basically the only thing you'd get out of it is seeing the style of questions and working on your timing. You could do this for a lot less money with other prep companies & actually get to review your answers after. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Satire5Texul

gothicfoxes

MD & MPH goals
Jun 17, 2015
Bodymore Murdaland
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Too expensive, and there's no guarantee it'll work. Get creative and find other ways to simulate test-day conditions.

This might be a stretch, but find an empty lecture hall or study room on a Saturday*. Make sure there's a door so you can close it. Take a laptop to take an online practice test. Give yourself the same amount of time to finish the sections and breaks as you would be given on test day. This test run might help you figure out your stamina for a test this long. Good luck. x

* Ask permission before doing so, of course. You might have a professor/department head who wouldn't mind. At my school, halls are sometimes left unlocked for kids to come in and study quietly.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
If you have not signed up for it, why now? I *am* 99% sure I will void my exam on the 12th and retake for *real* in January. That was never my intent but it is the deck of cards I've been handed and to me makes the most sense (given what I've read on here from adcoms, MS'ers, attending, etc)

Everyone has some anxiety with respect to the test (there are threads about it and one on here mentioned someone who got sick in the middle of the thing). I don't know how "practicing" is going to help the anxiety if it is that bad.

Apr 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If money is no object to you, why not. A void doesn't count against your # of MCAT attempts (7 lifetime) right? If you have the $ to burn, especially with only 1 AAMC test out there, I say go for it.