1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Void vs. Score and Retake?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by gene_pool, Sep 5, 2014.

1. gene_pool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Imagine you have two applicants with identical applications (GPA, EC's, background, essays, etc.)

Would voiding your first exam and then scoring a 35+ on your next exam make you a significantly stronger candidate than a person with a 27-30 on their first exam and then a 35+ on their retake?

I'd assume they'll take the person who had a 35+ on the first try? But how much more inclined would they be to choose them? Hoping it's not a huge difference, because I really want to score my test on test day regardless of what happens.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. justadream

7+ Year Member

Nobody knows that you voided.

Idrinkwater likes this.
  4. gene_pool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I'm asking how much better does it look to have a "first try" 35+ vs. a retake 35+. If at all.

5. Idrinkwater

I have a friend who got a 28 on his first testing, and then scored a 36 on his second testing after intense studying. He ended up getting into a top med school. Some schools combine your highest valid scores from each section, and just look at your highest score in a sitting.

6. Idrinkwater

they don't see a void. Only you see the voided exams

7. gene_pool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Okay so it sounds like being a re-taker doesn't put you out of the running for a top school? Because I have another friend who got like a 27, but then re-took it for a 34. He got into a top school, but it was also his own alma mater.

Thanks

8. justadream

7+ Year Member

@gene_pool
    Of course it doesn't.

But this is the wrong mindset. You should prepare as if it will be the first and last time you ever take it. If you're not hitting your goal scores in your AAMC FLs, then you should probably delay.

j9260 and Idrinkwater like this.
  9. gene_pool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You're right. I did do my best, but I didn't have a good approach (content review w/ little practice). Didn't quite reach what I wanted in practice score but if I can pull off a 32, I might not re-take it.

For new MCAT'ers beginning their journey. Don't even think about retaking, try and do well the first time.

10. Idrinkwater

yes, plan on taking it once. it is a test that sucks your soul out literally.