Void vs. Score and Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gene_pool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Imagine you have two applicants with identical applications (GPA, EC's, background, essays, etc.)

Would voiding your first exam and then scoring a 35+ on your next exam make you a significantly stronger candidate than a person with a 27-30 on their first exam and then a 35+ on their retake?

I'd assume they'll take the person who had a 35+ on the first try? But how much more inclined would they be to choose them? Hoping it's not a huge difference, because I really want to score my test on test day regardless of what happens.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm asking how much better does it look to have a "first try" 35+ vs. a retake 35+. If at all.

I have a friend who got a 28 on his first testing, and then scored a 36 on his second testing after intense studying. He ended up getting into a top med school. Some schools combine your highest valid scores from each section, and just look at your highest score in a sitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so it sounds like being a re-taker doesn't put you out of the running for a top school? Because I have another friend who got like a 27, but then re-took it for a 34. He got into a top school, but it was also his own alma mater.

Thanks

@gene_pool
Of course it doesn't.

But this is the wrong mindset. You should prepare as if it will be the first and last time you ever take it. If you're not hitting your goal scores in your AAMC FLs, then you should probably delay.

Reactions: 1 users
@gene_pool
Of course it doesn't.

But this is the wrong mindset. You should prepare as if it will be the first and last time you ever take it. If you're not hitting your goal scores in your AAMC FLs, then you should probably delay.

You're right. I did do my best, but I didn't have a good approach (content review w/ little practice). Didn't quite reach what I wanted in practice score but if I can pull off a 32, I might not re-take it.

For new MCAT'ers beginning their journey. Don't even think about retaking, try and do well the first time.