Voiding advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJhooper123

PGY ortho
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished AAMC #2. 506 - 129,121,129,127.

I can't figure out CARS.

I was originally planning to take the test September 2016 and decided to hold off (mainly bc of CARS). Since then my sciences have slightly increased but CARS has not. I have taken 21 practice tests in total. My highest CARS score for any of them is a 124. I took AAMC #1 and got 507 total with a 123 on CARS. I took AAMC Sample Test and got 70% on CARS. Should I take the test on 01/28/17 or void? My goal is ~508/509. I plan on primarily applying DO but I don't want to count out MD. This CARS situation scenario has developed into a learned helplessness. Very discouraging.

Please share thoughts - thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you taking your time and reading every word of the passages? Do you take the full 90 minutes?

Yes. This might sound dumb. But I don't have an issue with reading/understanding. Also, my timing is excellent - I finish on time or with 1-2 minutes to spare every time. I am horrific at selecting the correct answer. If you gave me 90 minutes or 2 hours to take this section I would probably score the same.

I am just unsure whether I should score my test this upcoming weekend.

Yes. This might sound dumb. But I don't have an issue with reading/understanding. Also, my timing is excellent - I finish on time or with 1-2 minutes to spare every time. I am horrific at selecting the correct answer. If you gave me 90 minutes or 2 hours to take this section I would probably score the same.

I am just unsure whether I should score my test this upcoming weekend.
Dude,dont skim .. read the passage and dont spend too much time on question.. This is golden.. Then you should work on why your missing the question.. Dont speed up!! ever

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude,dont skim .. read the passage and dont spend too much time on question.. This is golden.. Then you should work on why your missing the question.. Dont speed up!! ever

No, I am taking my time reading the passages. I spend ~5 minutes (sometimes more) reading the passages. The questions are what murders me. I can literally make an argument for every answer. I can't figure out what the MCAT is looking for. It seems like my mind and the MCAT's are completely separate.

Would you consider it unwise to score my test on 01/28/17?

CARS:

1. look at the answer choices, two are obviously wrong for whatever reason.

Lets say the passage is on the impact of the North Dakota pipeline on the tribes around Fort Yates, ND. The passage talks about the area, the tribal customs, the water supply and general difficulties the tribe faces on a normal basis. The tribe is a mix of Sioux and Cherokee Indians that have come together to form one united tribe back in the days of General Custer. The Tribe lives on land given to them by the administration after General Custer's death and prior to the Mandan Indians being wiped out.

With me?

So let's say the question asks:

Of the tribes that were known to exist in North Dakota during the pipeline development, which one of these does the author state are most LIKELY to impact the non-development of the pipeline?

Answer choices:

1. Mandan Indians
2. Fort Yates Indians
3. General Custer
4. All of the above

Though the passage states all of the first three, the Mandan Indians are long extinct and Custer is dead, therefore, 1 and 3 is out, therefore, 4 is out leaving only 2 as the right answer choice.

That kind of logic in consistent in every section of the MCAT. Two of the answer choices are so obviously wrong for whatever reason leaving two possibilities.

For CARS, my only advice is this:

1. highlight the question type (least like, most likely, MUST BE, cannot be, etc); this alone can help increase points because if you skim this you might miss that little "least" likely and just click the answer choice that answers "likely"

2. quickly figure which two answer choices have nothing, if anything to do with the passage or the author's direction (this should be pretty obvious at the start whether the author is pro the topic, anti or neutral - guarantee that will come up again)

3. make sure your answers that you have left can answer the question... sometimes, the AAMC throws in 2 really wrong answer, with 2 left; one of those being so obtuse that it tricks people into thinking it's right (the old, "OMG, it's so non-understandable it must be right). Don't fall for that trick.

I found with CARS that when I went through the q-packs, I wrote on each and every question why I got it right or wrong; then I summarized my wrong reasons and reviewed them.

I fell for stupid tricks. Fixed them. :)

Hope this helps a little. Don't give up!

Edited:

At this point, you don't have to void, you can reschedule, I think until tomorrow night.

If you CANNOT reschedule, I would... take the exam, and then decide AT THE END, whether or not to score it.

It is, no doubt, a scary week. It's scary for people are scoring 128s and those who are not. The best advice anyone can give you is be confident.

Seriously.

Go into the exam on whatever date you decide, and be confident. Make it your best friend.

When you decide on an answer, UNLESS it was a LEAST likely that you thought you answered LIKELY on, DO NOT CHANGE the answer choice.

Reactions: 1 users
CARS:

1. look at the answer choices, two are obviously wrong for whatever reason.

Lets say the passage is on the impact of the North Dakota pipeline on the tribes around Fort Yates, ND. The passage talks about the area, the tribal customs, the water supply and general difficulties the tribe faces on a normal basis. The tribe is a mix of Sioux and Cherokee Indians that have come together to form one united tribe back in the days of General Custer. The Tribe lives on land given to them by the administration after General Custer's death and prior to the Mandan Indians being wiped out.

With me?

So let's say the question asks:

Of the tribes that were known to exist in North Dakota during the pipeline development, which one of these does the author state are most LIKELY to impact the non-development of the pipeline?

Answer choices:

1. Mandan Indians
2. Fort Yates Indians
3. General Custer
4. All of the above

Though the passage states all of the first three, the Mandan Indians are long extinct and Custer is dead, therefore, 1 and 3 is out, therefore, 4 is out leaving only 2 as the right answer choice.

That kind of logic in consistent in every section of the MCAT. Two of the answer choices are so obviously wrong for whatever reason leaving two possibilities.

For CARS, my only advice is this:

1. highlight the question type (least like, most likely, MUST BE, cannot be, etc); this alone can help increase points because if you skim this you might miss that little "least" likely and just click the answer choice that answers "likely"

2. quickly figure which two answer choices have nothing, if anything to do with the passage or the author's direction (this should be pretty obvious at the start whether the author is pro the topic, anti or neutral - guarantee that will come up again)

3. make sure your answers that you have left can answer the question... sometimes, the AAMC throws in 2 really wrong answer, with 2 left; one of those being so obtuse that it tricks people into thinking it's right (the old, "OMG, it's so non-understandable it must be right). Don't fall for that trick.

I found with CARS that when I went through the q-packs, I wrote on each and every question why I got it right or wrong; then I summarized my wrong reasons and reviewed them.

I fell for stupid tricks. Fixed them. :)

Hope this helps a little. Don't give up!

Edited:

At this point, you don't have to void, you can reschedule, I think until tomorrow night.

If you CANNOT reschedule, I would... take the exam, and then decide AT THE END, whether or not to score it.

It is, no doubt, a scary week. It's scary for people are scoring 128s and those who are not. The best advice anyone can give you is be confident.

Seriously.

Go into the exam on whatever date you decide, and be confident. Make it your best friend.

When you decide on an answer, UNLESS it was a LEAST likely that you thought you answered LIKELY on, DO NOT CHANGE the answer choice.

Much appreciation for the time Ad2b.
I have been studying so long for this... and I really want to be done with it. I am very confident with my sciences.... just this one section. I am concerned that a CARS score is going to prevent me from applying to most DO schools.

No, I am taking my time reading the passages. I spend ~5 minutes (sometimes more) reading the passages. The questions are what murders me. I can literally make an argument for every answer. I can't figure out what the MCAT is looking for. It seems like my mind and the MCAT's are completely separate.

Would you consider it unwise to score my test on 01/28/17?

Push your test date back and get help on CARS. You need to be thinking the way the AAMC does to answer those questions and the real CARS can often times feel harder than the practice tests. You can still test in the spring and be ready to apply for the next cycle.

Push your test date back and get help on CARS. You need to be thinking the way the AAMC does to answer those questions and the real CARS can often times feel harder than the practice tests. You can still test in the spring and be ready to apply for the next cycle.

Took the JW CARS course ~4 months ago. I have stayed faithful to the technique and homework - not seeing the results, although I do read better. Still thinking about proceeding with the test (I have taken 21 practice exams :bang:). My main concern is whether a 123/124 would keep me out of DO/MD schools.

Took the JW CARS course ~4 months ago. I have stayed faithful to the technique and homework - not seeing the results, although I do read better. Still thinking about proceeding with the test (I have taken 21 practice exams :bang:). My main concern is whether a 123/124 would keep me out of DO/MD schools.

123/124 will be a huge barrier.

You should be at least aiming for 126 CARS, 127+ if you're serious about MD.

Thanks for the response - it is very much appreciated.

I agree with 123/124 being a huge barrier - I think those are realistic scores for me. Of the 21 tests I have taken, I've score 121 only twice (making me think that my Exam #2 was a bad day). My average score for the 21 tests is ~123.8. My average raw score for those is ~60%.

Giving my low GPA, I think that osteopathic medical is the way to go for me. Recently contacted a few schools who stressed that there is a "holistic approach" to their interview process. Most did not seem as concerned with just the CARS section being low - they seemed to care more about the total score.

I am leaning towards taking and scoring - mainly because I have classes starting in 1 week. Another thought - I have taken 21 practice tests. How much more improvement can I expect for CARS? I have been reading for an hour daily using the JW method and have been reviewing the AAMC passages.

Tough decision here.

How do people come up with these numbers? It absolutely blows my mind.

I had 6 md II (5 attended) and 5 acceptances with a 126 cars. Several of my classmates had the same or even lower scores on that section and I go to a top 50. Just do the best you can.

CARS is my strength - lowest score is 129, got 93% on the sample.

Most of the answers to CARS fall into one of two categories:

1. A strikingly obviously correct answer in midst of 3 obviously incorrect ones. You're probably doing these fine.
2. Several answers which make reasonable inferences beyond the text and one which seems in some way inadequate but which is within the text.

My personal all-time favorite CARS from the AAMC sample is a passage that talked about child abuse. It listed like 4 effects - drugs, alcohol, premarital sex and something else. It then asked which was NOT a symptom of child abuse:

A. Alcohol
B. Drugs
C. Chronic Stress
D. Personality Disorders

1 and 2 are easy eliminations. Passage doesn't mention chronic stress or personality disorders. I marked "chronic stress" because I know from prior reading that childhood abuse is thought to cause HPD and ASPD.

AAMC says its personality disorders because personality disorders is beyond the scope of the passage. I don't even know what the hell "chronic stress" is, but it was an answer closer to what was discussed in the passage versus what was not. Bluntly I think it is a stupid answer, but its AAMC think.

506 is fatal to most MD programs. How'd you do on AAMC FL1? FL1 is pretty highly correlated with exam scores if taken close to the exam date - belive its about a .5 correlation with a 3 point SD.

Th rest is reading comprehension. The way to improve reading comprehension is to read and dialouge with authors who are 1) rigorous and 2) original. Politically correct **** professors that dominate college campuses assign easy pieces that mood affiliate with Barney and do disservice to reading comprehension. You just don't learn very much reading some of the trash Ivies are assigning as mandatory reading because you're really just being brainwashed with their political views.

Thanks for the response!

I scored a 507 on AAMC #1 with a 123 for CARS. This was ~3 weeks ago. Given my GPA, I think DO school is most appropriate for me.

As far as answering AAMC questions I completely agree. My issue is trying to figure out what the AAMC wants for an answer. Reading comprehension is not an issue (or I suppose it isn't). I don't have an issue identifying the main idea or supported arguments presented in the passage. I just can't figure out which answer to select. Typically I can narrow it down to 2 answers... I am just not careful enough.

If you're aiming DO then 507 is fine unless your GPA is terrible. Balanced is better but I wouldn't lose any sleep

Also I wish I had your CP score.

Thanks for the post. I think I am going to proceed and hope for the best. Going to boost my CARS confidence this week and keep working. I wish I could trade some of my CP points for your CARS points lol.

I had 6 md II (5 attended) and 5 acceptances with a 126 cars. Several of my classmates had the same or even lower scores on that section and I go to a top 50. Just do the best you can.

That is certainly encouraging. I am reaching out to some of the DO schools I intend on applying to just to make sure CARS won't doom me.

Not 100% sure where the 126/127 or bust comes from, but in the MSAR below an 8 (which is basically a 125) is below the 10th percentile at many schools, even state ones.

The 127+ thing might be an MSAR thing as well (probably median or greater for interview or marticulate).

By no means do I intend to be an absolute knower of all numbers. This is just my opinion. It makes me happy to know that students have had success with lower numbers. I just want OP to prepare to have the best chance at success.

Also, 'blowing your mind' sounds pretty strong. Do you expect everyone with 126 CARS to receive 6 MD II and 5 accepts? You probably are well-rounded, with good experiences, and it really depends on the schools. Unfortunately 'just do the best you can' isn't very helpful advice.

Last edited: