Voiding MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverlearner02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've signed up for a September MCAT date however as it is approaching I am feeling like I haven't done enough practice and am now feeling more comfortable with a January test date. However, I'm thinking I'd still like to take the September MCAT as I have been studying and would like to take it at a testing center so in January I'll be familiar with the whole process. Unless I have a great feeling during the exam, Im going in with the mindset that I can void it and not get a score. I mean I've already paid for the exam so I might as well take it unless its going to look bad if I void it.

Does voiding look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I've signed up for a September MCAT date however as it is approaching I am feeling like I haven't done enough practice and am now feeling more comfortable with a January test date. However, I'm thinking I'd still like to take the September MCAT as I have been studying and would like to take it at a testing center so in January I'll be familiar with the whole process. Unless I have a great feeling during the exam, Im going in with the mindset that I can void it and not get a score. I mean I've already paid for the exam so I might as well take it unless its going to look bad if I void it.

Does voiding look bad?
Schools can't see if you've voided and exam. However, I believe @gonnif recommends students shouldn't take the MCAT with the intention of voiding it because they might not void it and end up with a bad score, which is obviously much worse than just not taking it at all.

My advice, DO NOT TAKE THE MCAT UNTIL YOU ARE READY

Reactions: 1 users
I couldn't sleep the night before my exam, like 0 hours of sleep, already knew I wasn't performing to the best of my ability at CARS, but finished the exam to get practice in. Voided at the end of the exam, studied another 3 months, got 95th percentile. Voiding saved my application.

Reactions: 1 user
I always suggest to students to not go into an exam unsure of whether you'll void or not, because your post-exam feelings are notoriously unreliable. You'll see many people post about how they thought they failed and still scored 515+ and others who thought they did alright, and score in the lower percentiles. If you are not ready for the exam, whether that be from not doing enough practice, or seeing that your practice exam scores aren't where you want them to be, then make sure you void if you take the exam. No matter how you feel about it afterwards. I hope that helps and if you need any assistance in prepping for the exam for January, please do reach out!

Reactions: 1 user