Voluntary Deplyoment counted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a physician in the Army Reserves and request to deploy somewhere for 3-4 months, does this satisfy your deployment for 12-18 months or can you be re-deployed as soon as you get back? I can't imagine a civilian practice being very happy with me if I was gone for 8 months out of the year. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a physician in the Army Reserves and request to deploy somewhere for 3-4 months, does this satisfy your deployment for 12-18 months or can you be re-deployed as soon as you get back? I can't imagine a civilian practice being very happy with me if I was gone for 8 months out of the year. Thanks...

A deployment is a deployment. As long as you have 90 days boots on ground, you check the box. It does not matter if it is a volunteered or voluntold deployment.

Some people will volunteer for a deployment to have more control over when they go. A physician in my OBLC class had volunteered to go right after residency so he could go through fellowship without worrying about it...