voluntary tour = choice of location afterward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonny2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am just wondering what you all have heard/ experienced about what happens after residency in the army. DH is in the army, and we are trying to plan for when he gets out of residency (I will still be in a civilian residency). Is it true that if you volunteer to be sent to an undesirable location like Afghanistan or Cuba that you can be stationed in your location of choice afterwards? We have heard this rumor, but I'm skeptical. It would be a great way to keep our family together if it is true though. Anyone know? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am just wondering what you all have heard/ experienced about what happens after residency in the army. DH is in the army, and we are trying to plan for when he gets out of residency (I will still be in a civilian residency). Is it true that if you volunteer to be sent to an undesirable location like Afghanistan or Cuba that you can be stationed in your location of choice afterwards? We have heard this rumor, but I'm skeptical. It would be a great way to keep our family together if it is true though. Anyone know? Thanks.

No there is no truth to that. Detailing is a 100% arbitrary decision by the detailer. Here is an example: The Navy changed my orders once (after I bought a house) and promised it would never happen again. The following year they changed them a second time!

No there is no truth to that. Detailing is a 100% arbitrary decision by the detailer. Here is an example: The Navy changed my orders once (after I bought a house) and promised it would never happen again. The following year they changed them a second time!

You rec'd your orders (officially, via message traffic), then the detailer canceled them (another message), and reissued you another set of orders (a new message)??? Or were your original orders a verbal agreement? Usually the detailer can falter on a verbal agreement . . .but they try not to retract written orders that have already gone out, just b/c that gets messy and puts egg on their face. But, it can happen, if the needs of the Navy warrant it.

As far as "promises" go, I'd be very weary of this. I think the AF is the only service that writes two sets of orders, the first being to somewhere harsh and the second to your dream assignment. But this aside, such agreements with the detailer are usually verbal and so can be broken easily. So if you're going to put faith in such a promise, understand that it may not come to fruition. And at the least, try to get something from the detailer in writing (an email), stating said promise...in case he happens to "forget"

Members don't see this ad :)
You rec'd your orders (officially, via message traffic), then the detailer canceled them (another message), and reissued you another set of orders (a new message)??? Or were your original orders a verbal agreement? Usually the detailer can falter on a verbal agreement . . .but they try not to retract written orders that have already gone out, just b/c that gets messy and puts egg on their face. But, it can happen, if the needs of the Navy warrant it.

My orders were officially released and the detailer/specialty leader canceled them without telling me after I bought a house at my next duty station. At a department meeting later that year the detailer apologized to me in front of my peers and promised that it wouldn't happen again. The following year, the exact same scenario occurred: I had official orders, they canceled them and issued a new set or orders to a different location.

My assessment was that both times the orders change was unnecessary and resulted from poor organization and planning.

Awesome.

I know this is the case normally, but have you guys heard it is different if you go on tour to one of those places where your family can't come along? I know of 2 people that are doing this to stay in the dc area, but I don't know them very well. Wondered how common this was. I am realizing that being in the military doesn't work too well when your spouse has a career too!

Last edited:
Awesome.

I know this is the case normally, but have you guys heard it is different if you go on tour to one of those places where your family can't come along? I know of 2 people that are doing this to stay in the dc area, but I don't know them very well. Wondered how common this was. I am realizing that being in the military doesn't work too well when your spouse has a career too!

You described an unaccompanied tour where you are geographically separated from your family members. I will say that the detailers are pretty good about making sure that you get an accompanied tour.

What is happening now is that even if you complete an unaccompanied tour there is a good possibility you could get deployed at your next duty station. For example, a guy completed a deployment. He was encouraged to take an accompanied overseas tour. When he arrived he discovered the department was in shambles due to half the staff being deployed and had to work every day into the evening. On top of that he was tasked with another deployment. Now his family is stuck overseas without any support system.

I found military medicine detailing to be regularly irregular. What makes it more irregular is the detailers change every couple of years. If you make a deal with one detailer and he rotates off, it is all null and void when the new guy shows up.

Spouses and children serve and make sacrifices just like the service member.

Last edited:
To answer the OP's question, the single most important factor for assignments is seniority. If there's a tie in seniority (someone who graduated residency at the same time), then you may get bumped up on that list.

Ed

To answer the OP's question, the single most important factor for assignments is seniority. If there's a tie in seniority (someone who graduated residency at the same time), then you may get bumped up on that list.

Ed

I agree. So as a graduating resident they will assign you any where based on the order of priority determined by the need of Army. Do not volunteer. I know about a graduating resident volunteering for a position in country X and he got assigned the worse possible position (different position) in country X. His detailer states, "well you got your country X."

They do not care about you. They won't tell you; they will show you.