Volunteer Activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swoop

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here I am my first year of college is almost over. I am going to make it through o chem and still be shining. I am still even a pre-med. One weed out down......Anyways I really got into rock climbing at school and am a member and probably an officer next year. Yeah, that will really knock the socks off of admissions commitees. I am also involved in a couple other clubs and activites but they are mainly sport related. So next semester my school will offer an extracurricualr in EMT training. I am kind of interested in it, but only mainly because I think it would look good to an adcom and lets face it. I am interested in medicine. However, I am wondering if there isn't a better way to spend my time volunteering? So this was way to long, but what do you think anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

Defintely go with the EMT program. A good choice is to volunteer at your local hospital (emergency room) - this summer would actually be the best time to begin - between freshmen and sophmore year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ColoradoCCT
I know that voluteering in the ER is standard but honestly I didn't enjoy my stint very much. The problem is that there are so many restrictions that you can't actually do very much with the patients.

I second that. I was a trained EMT before volunteering in the ER, and I HATED my ER experience, simply because I couldn't do a damn thing and felt like I was always in the way of the real employees trying to get real work done. I got much more out of my EMT working experience. At least take the class and get certified- it doesn't take long, and the knowledge and experience you'll get will be a huge benefit.

Do you want to go into emergency med, because if not you may want to look at other volunteer opportunites. If there is a clinic you might be able to get phlebotomy training and work with patients that way. Also hospitals offer so many volunteer opportunities, you could work as a doula and deliver babies or volunteer in psychiatry there are so many other types of volunteer opportunites. Also you might want to shadow a doctor in a specialty you are interested in.

I've been told to try to get involved with something that gets you close to patients. My premed dean told me that "adcom's" like to see that you enjoy taking care of people. So special needs sounds like a good idea. MDA Camp maybe?