Volunteer activity beneficial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lol123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering what a certain volunteering activity would be considered under and if it would be beneficial to a future application. I would volunteer at a horse-back riding camp for children and young adults mentally and physically disabilities. Would this be looked as a good thing? I am a horse-back rider and want to combine my two interests.

Members don't see this ad.

Call it volunteer, non-clinical, or call it a hobby. It highlights your interest in horses which might help you make a connection with someone on the adcom who has a similar interest. It certainly can't hurt but don't call it "clinical". I've seen that go badly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Essentially, with your ECs, you want to show that you enjoy helping the lesser fortunate, be it in a clinical setting or at a horseback riding camp. This is a good EC to have, especially since it makes you stand out of the pool of applicants. Just make sure to obtain some clinical experience along the way because you want to show that you understand the demands of a career in medicine.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what a certain volunteering activity would be considered under and if it would be beneficial to a future application. I would volunteer at a horse-back riding camp for children and young adults mentally and physically disabilities. Would this be looked as a good thing? I am a horse-back rider and want to combine my two interests.
Very, very good thing!