Volunteer and research experience.. Where to get started?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OREGONPREMED1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently a sophomore. I need to start gaining volunteer experience. I want to job shadow, I just really don't know how to get into that. Also, I have been reading on here that research experience is good to have. Where do I go to get that? I don't live in a huge city, so I feel like my options are limited. I have applied to the 2 major hospitals in my area to volunteer. But thats about as far as I have gotten.. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

E-mail professors/doctors at nearby universities and hospitals. Be persistent with your e-mails, without being annoying. Doctors and Scientists are busy people who don't read their inboxes all the time, so sometimes you need to be a little pushy (but not too much).

Consider spending a summer in a different city through a summer research program. You have to apply to these programs and it will cost you some money for living expenses and travel but typically they can offer you a stipend and discounted, if not free housing during your stay.

Have you considered shadowing in a smaller outpatient setting (Family practice office, community health center, etc...)? Shadowing doesn't have to be at major hospitals.

Well I can't really comment on the volunteering, I've done the same as you and contacted the hospital in my city but don't start volunteering until this winter, so we're in the same position there. But for shadowing, I'm starting off with a couple of the doctors at my family practice. Then when I want to do shadowing at the hospital I will have my volunteer work there and references from the doctors I've already shadowed at the family practice.
For research I think the easiest way to start is by asking your professors if you can. That's what I did anyway, and now I'm doing research a couple hours a week and that will continue for the next four years of my schooling as long as I don't get in a fight with the professor or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I can't really comment on the volunteering, I've done the same as you and contacted the hospital in my city but don't start volunteering until this winter, so we're in the same position there. But for shadowing, I'm starting off with a couple of the doctors at my family practice. Then when I want to do shadowing at the hospital I will have my volunteer work there and references from the doctors I've already shadowed at the family practice.
For research I think the easiest way to start is by asking your professors if you can. That's what I did anyway, and now I'm doing research a couple hours a week and that will continue for the next four years of my schooling as long as I don't get in a fight with the professor or something.

Thank you! I didn't think to ask my professors.

E-mail professors/doctors at nearby universities and hospitals. Be persistent with your e-mails, without being annoying. Doctors and Scientists are busy people who don't read their inboxes all the time, so sometimes you need to be a little pushy (but not too much).

Consider spending a summer in a different city through a summer research program. You have to apply to these programs and it will cost you some money for living expenses and travel but typically they can offer you a stipend and discounted, if not free housing during your stay.

Have you considered shadowing in a smaller outpatient setting (Family practice office, community health center, etc...)? Shadowing doesn't have to be at major hospitals.

This might be a dumb question, but what is a summer research program? What exactly is being researched? Various things in the medical field?

I have contacted 2 pediatric office in my area, and I was informed they only offer job shadowing to medical students, not pre med students. So that made me kind of reluctant, and made me think job shadowing is only necessary for medical students. Until I started reading on here that pre med students were shadowing.

Thank you! I didn't think to ask my professors.
And also, are you doing research through your school? Is that what your professors got you into?

Believe in the power of google.

I looked for both my clinical experience and non-clinical volunteer work at this site: https://www.volunteermatch.org/ . It's pretty good, and the volunteer coordinators that respond are pretty quick about it.

Just specify your area code and interest (search for "health" or "medical“ for clinical experience) and they'll list results.

For research, it's probably better to go to professor's office hours. Look up their available hours as well as their research topic on the school website. You will want to know enough details about the research topic to convince them to let you into their group.

And also, are you doing research through your school? Is that what your professors got you into?
Yeah, my research is with my one of my professors (or actually my academic advisor) and the research is funded through the school.

Believe in the power of google.

I looked for both my clinical experience and non-clinical volunteer work at this site: https://www.volunteermatch.org/ . It's pretty good, and the volunteer coordinators that respond are pretty quick about it.

Just specify your area code and interest (search for "health" or "medical“ for clinical experience) and they'll list results.

For research, it's probably better to go to professor's office hours. Look up their available hours as well as their research topic on the school website. You will want to know enough details about the research topic to convince them to let you into their group.

Thanks! I was able to find several volunteer opportunities through that website.

Reactions: 1 user
This might be a dumb question, but what is a summer research program? What exactly is being researched? Various things in the medical field?

I have contacted 2 pediatric office in my area, and I was informed they only offer job shadowing to medical students, not pre med students. So that made me kind of reluctant, and made me think job shadowing is only necessary for medical students. Until I started reading on here that pre med students were shadowing.

Summer research programs are generally in basic science medical research, though there are definitely opportunities for research in public health and other aspects of health. Google SURP/SMDEP for more information. Contact more than two offices, one might let you shadow. Don't get discouraged, sometimes it takes a while to find opportunities. I also recommend contacting a doctor directly instead of through administrative staff.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of my shadowing came from visiting my pre-med advisor and the Career Center and contacting the alumni from my school. I also asked my own doctor, my parents doctors and found another one by asking my dentist if he knew any doctors.
My clinical hours are mainly from the free clinic. Our local hospital won't allow shadowing or patient contact volunteers from college-age students.