Volunteer and Research Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

TheBurgMan

Hey guys
d

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I did.. but I go to a pretty small school.

But then I am going to be spending my summer extracting dna from algae.:sleep:

Is it possible to email professors whom share your research interests and ask them if they would like to have an extra student to volunteer in their labs?

That would be one of the most common ways people find research opportunities; whether it is actually research or just being someone's bitch in exchange for an LOR is debatable.

Does anyone have any cool ideas?
If you have no background or notable skills (and let's be honest- how many undergrads really have enough knowledge or skill to do anything but scut work)....so don't expect to conduct your own research (and get the lion's share of the credit for it) unless you get very, very lucky.

But then I am going to be spending my summer extracting dna from algae.
Have fun. I wouldn't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
try to do something worth while, research is great but do something extra, try to not just to research but actually something different, every pre med does research, you want to stand out not blend in

try to do something worth while, research is great but do something extra, try to not just to research but actually something different, every pre med does research, you want to stand out not blend in
Easier said than done, especially for those with no prior experience, only a cursory knowledge and definitely for those with profs who are fed up with premeds who think they are Nobel laureate material.

If you are looking for clinical exposure, I would try your local hospitals, though volunteer spots can be hard to get or try to find a local free/reduced cost community clinic. If research is your thing I would start talking to professors soon. Good luck to you!:thumbup:

Have fun. I wouldn't do it.

Well.. it's the big picture thing I guess. My prof is working on finding out what causes "Sun downers" syndrome in pts. with Alzheimers. For whatever reason, the circadian rhythym expression in algae is the best to study. Strange stuff.

It's really not that boring.. just the average molecular/cell bio stuff... but then I'm a dork.

Anyway, to OP: My advice is make sure that the faculty member is doing research that interests you and that you would enjoy doing. I think they would be able to tell if you weren't interested. I think it needs to be more than a good LOR. Just look at their research interests and email the one(s) that seem the most interesting to you!

It's really not that boring.. just the average molecular/cell bio stuff... but then I'm a dork.
I'll take your word for all of that.....I find molecular and cell bio interesting, but not enough so that I would do research on it. That's why I stick predominately to my clinical or translational research- not to mention it's easier to convince an MD that you can do your own research (assuming you have an appropriate background) than it is to convince some PhD with a chip on his shoulder. Not to mention it's more interesting to study things you can actually see and that have a snowball's chance in hell of being useful anytime in the forseeable future, beyond just getting someone their tenure.

I'll take your word for all of that.....I find molecular and cell bio interesting, but not enough so that I would do research on it. That's why I stick predominately to my clinical or translational research- not to mention it's easier to convince an MD that you can do your own research (assuming you have an appropriate background) than it is to convince some PhD with a chip on his shoulder. Not to mention it's more interesting to study things you can actually see and that have a snowball's chance in hell of being useful anytime in the forseeable future, beyond just getting someone their tenure.

I feel the the same way. Bio is ok but I don't really want to spend EVEN MORE time doing research in it. Thats why I'm considering psych research, seems a lot more interesting.