Volunteer and shadowing hours for Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lola34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am currently a Junior and is looking into applying to dental school in June. So my questions is do I have enough volunteer and shadowing hours to be considered competitive?

I've been volunteering and shadowing at a dental clinic for 11 months now and it would be about 14 months in total by the time I would apply to dental school. And I would have approximately 200-220 hours of both volunteer and shadow work combined, so it is not to say that I have 200 hours of volunteer and shadowing each.

My concern is the fact that I've only had about a year experience in shadowing a dentist.

I currently have a gpa of 3.85 and is a biological science major.

How harshly are dental schools going to look at my volunteer/shadowing experiences since I've only been doing so for only 14months.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This smells of trolling. But in the case that you're not, there's absolutely no reason to worry about having 200+ hours...that's well above average from what I've gathered. A 14-month stint at a practice is more than enough. In fact, I'm having trouble understanding how you could stand it for that long...you typically get the gist of it after a day or two of shadowing and then it gets real boring real fast.

Especially with your GPA you have nothing to worry about. GL!