Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Volunteer as an EMS or EMT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Canadian Premed, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Canadian Premed

Pre-Medical
    I have a question, I've been hearing people volunteering as an EMT or may be even an EMS. How do you do that? Don't you have to be a paramedic? If not then how long does it take to study and become one?

I am applying June 2008, can I do it before my application if I start working on it now?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos101.htm

4. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    The utility of EMT-Basic certification isn't necessarily in the certification itself, but in the opportunity that it provides you. As an EMT-B running 9-1-1 calls, on a US volunteer rescue squad, for example, you really have a cool opportunity to get involved in the direct care of patients. EMT-B's and EMT-P's (paramedics) are part of EMS, which is state-run (in the United States). You will need to check with your state authority for details (again, speaking about the US). Generally, it takes about a semester to attain EMT-B certification and you need to do some practical-level training. Many people join a fire station or volunteer rescue squad; there may be commitments involved in joining. Check with your local fire station. Becoming and working as an EMT-B requires commitment.

5. Canadian Premed

Pre-Medical
    That sounds cool but im Canadian :/ I dunno if there is such thing as volunteering as an EMT in Canada, anyone knows?

6. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    EMS = emergency medical services

EMT = emergency medical technician

I don't know how Canada runs their EMS system, but you could talk to fire departments or private ambulance companies in the area.

7. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
  8. FenderHM

FenderHM Where there's a will...

Medical Student
    become an EMH like the emergency medical hologram in star trek

9. Canadian Premed

Pre-Medical
    I looked into it, it's a 5 year program, too long for me...

10. emaj1n

emaj1n M1

Medical Student
    Running EMS calls is a great idea, but, as with everything, don't just do it for medical school.

If you have an interest in EMS, than just drop by your local fire station. They'll have all the information you need (or at least who to contact).

Volunteering with a rescue squad takes a lot of time, especially if the rescue department requires you to keep "duty hours" while you are training. The class usually takes between two and three months at two or three classes a week.

You definitely have time to begin the course, get your cert., and start running calls. The real questions are: Is this is someone you want to do (are you going to be able to give an confident, honest answer to an interview panel)? Do you have the five-ten hours a week it takes to get started?