volunteer experience and taking year off

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Schoolboy, Apr 27, 2001.

1. I wanted very much to apply this summer, however I'm having second thoughts due to lack of volunteer experience.

I've worked at my school hospital during the summer before I came to college. I also worked as a teacher (sort of) for a summer school/daycare/afterschool type of program in which I taught 1-7th grades math and english. I also have been doing research for a year with a few abstracts and a full paper coming later in the year.

Having said all that, I'm worried because 1) my clinical experience was before I started college, and I wonder if that's too long ago. 2) because even though I had experience interacting with children as a teacher and mentor, it's not clinical. 3) same reason as 2 (not clinical). So basically, I'm worried that I have no clinical experience.

However, I plan to shadow a few residents at the local hospital for a few days each, and do some other volunteer activities elsewhere. I figure by the time I write my secondaries and/or interview I will have about 3-4 months of clinical exposure and extra volunteer work.

NOW, this is the question (thanks for anyone who read this far) should I wait a year to apply or will my experience be in enough? I REALLY don't want to wait another year but I will if I have to. Seeing that clinical experience is mandatory, I'm wondering what to do. Thank you very much in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Senior Member

Why dont you do this while you are applying? No, it wont be on your AMCAS application, but maybe you can include it in your secondaries, or your interviews. I didnt have very much volunteer experience either, but I did have clinical. I began to volunteer while submitting my application, and I included this in my secondary essays.

I dont think that lack of volunteering should keep you from applying. And, if you dont get in, you know that you boost your chances next year by just reapplying, showing motivation. Dont waste the year that you have, do something productive while you apply!

------------------
    ~Pegasus~