Volunteer experience Vs . Research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardioplegia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated with a master in Biochemistry and I am currently working full-time in an immunology lab. I pretty much work 7 days a week and on average 10 hours a day. I barely did any thing like community service or other volunteer activity.

My current position is research volunteer, so I think this still counts toward research experience instead of volunteer experience? Is the medical school going to question me because I have little to none community service hours?

I couldn't leave my current volunteer position because one of our papers is getting ready and hopefully can be submitted this September. I am working with another post-doc on an related topic which will result another publication. My own independent project was in hell, but recently my targeted RNA-seq showed some promises. (Through my research experience, I made certain that I love research but do not want to make it my career, and I decided not to pursue a Ph.D in Immunology)

Mean time, I am planning taking night course for MCAT. (I kinda have to)

Thank you for your time and help.

Members don't see this ad.

Good lord you're working 70 hr/week as a volunteer with a masters degree??

Good lord you're working 70 hr/week as a volunteer with a masters degree??
There were times I work more than that. I asked about possible stipend, but I couldn't get paid because it was a federal institute and I was foreigner. Basically I was not eligible for compensation and health insurance due to my citizenship. They did give me some stipend for metro tho, so I can go to work even on weekend.

I thought about working for the industry, but I don't want to give up on my research.