Volunteer Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thuy009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has happened a while back when I was volunteering at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital but haven’t had the time to share this story with anyone. One Friday night at my regular volunteer shift in the Pediatric ER, I went to this patient room to ask if I can provide anything to them such as pillows or a blankets or a drink of any kind or toys for the patient. As I walked into the room, the guardians of this patient were having some negative attitude toward me and they asked if I know when their child can be discharge from the hospital. Even though, the patient has not been seen by the any doctor yet. I didn’t have the answer to their question so I told them that let me go ask the nurses. The grandmother of this patient didn’t seem to be very unhappy with my answer as I left the room to go ask the nurses. They asked me if I can bring them a pillow and a blanket because the room was cold. Even though they were upset at their child being sick and they were being rude toward the nurses and to be honest I was annoyed by them also. But I felt like I should calm them by saying everything will be okay and I’m hoping that the kid will be discharge in the same night. I kept asking them if there are anything I can do and brought them coffee and some snacks. After I was done they told me that I have been the nicest person that they have talked to all day and I felt great in the inside because I made them feel better. I’m glad that I didn’t walk away and decided to stay and help. I understand that when your child is sick you’re frustrated and want the doctors to make their kids as the first priority. From this experience, I learned that when someone is unhappy, because they are just having a rough day and no one there to put a smile on their face. So, I ask those of you who are going into any health professions in the future. Please be nice to your patients, even if your patients are giving you a hard time please understand that because they are frustrated with the situation and please make them feel special and ensure them that everything will be fine. Since today is Christmas I figure I should share this story with everyone. And guys please be compassionate and giving back as much as you can to the communities and help people around you because at the end of the day when you look back at what you did and you will feel so darn great about it! Merry Chirstmas to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You have the right motivation for this stuff .. Good story, and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
This has happened a while back when I was volunteering at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital but haven’t had the time to share this story with anyone. One Friday night at my regular volunteer shift in the Pediatric ER, I went to this patient room to ask if I can provide anything to them such as pillows or a blankets or a drink of any kind or toys for the patient. As I walked into the room, the guardians of this patient were having some negative attitude toward me and they asked if I know when their child can be discharge from the hospital. Even though, the patient has not been seen by the any doctor yet. I didn’t have the answer to their question so I told them that let me go ask the nurses. The grandmother of this patient didn’t seem to be very unhappy with my answer as I left the room to go ask the nurses. They asked me if I can bring them a pillow and a blanket because the room was cold. Even though they were upset at their child being sick and they were being rude toward the nurses and to be honest I was annoyed by them also. But I felt like I should calm them by saying everything will be okay and I’m hoping that the kid will be discharge in the same night. I kept asking them if there are anything I can do and brought them coffee and some snacks. After I was done they told me that I have been the nicest person that they have talked to all day and I felt great in the inside because I made them feel better. I’m glad that I didn’t walk away and decided to stay and help. I understand that when your child is sick you’re frustrated and want the doctors to make their kids as the first priority. From this experience, I learned that when someone is unhappy, because they are just having a rough day and no one there to put a smile on their face. So, I ask those of you who are going into any health professions in the future. Please be nice to your patients, even if your patients are giving you a hard time please understand that because they are frustrated with the situation and please make them feel special and ensure them that everything will be fine. Since today is Christmas I figure I should share this story with everyone. And guys please be compassionate and giving back as much as you can to the communities and help people around you because at the end of the day when you look back at what you did and you will feel so darn great about it! Merry Chirstmas to you all!
This is SO not always true. Also, ???