volunteer experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Schoolboy

Hello fellow premeds and advisors,

I am in desperate need of quality volunteer experience. I would love to shadow a physician to see what they do everyday, but I have no idea how to get my foot in the door for something like that. If not shadowing, I would like something that I can work directly with either physicians and nurses with and of course patients too. But I really want to interact with physicians to see things from THEIR perspective. I live in Los Angeles next to UCLA for any of you who are knowledgeable about opportunities in that area, but I would appreciate general advice as well. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a premed advisor? My premed advisor is a physician, so he got me a lot of shadowing opportunities. I would look into something like that. Also, try to look into your school's alum network. The alum association at my school has a network of alumni who are willing to mentor students, and so I have gotten contacts from those.
Shadowing is AWESOME! Good luck!

No, we don't have a premed advisor, but the alumni network is an excellent idea! By the way, what's the legal detail of shadowing, like is it within hospital policy to have some kid follow you around like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Schoolboy,

Generally speaking most hospitals have no problem with students shadowing the physicians. Usually you will be considerd a voluneer (at least thats how it is at our local hospital) but you stick with the docs and basically observe what they do on a day to day basis. It can be quite interesting and the docs are generally more than happy to show you what ever it is you want to see or learn. Check into it and see what your local hospitals offer. Good luck in the future and take care!

I have a good time volunteering in the ER at the local county hospital. While my volunteer duties are often mundane, it is a GREAT place to be a fly-on-the-wall.

Gory trauma aside (I work in a level 1 trauma unit - the only one in the region), the spectrum of illness, injury, and disease patients present with is astonishing. Who knew there were so many ways to get sick!? Ever heard of malignant hyperthermia?

Also, I really enjoy the patients, med students, policemen, nurses, residents, medical assistants, lunatics, x-ray techs, paramedics, doctors, and firemen I might encounter in the course of any day at the ER.

Best of all, since I volunteer in a teaching hospital, the staff are very patient and generally willing to field the steady stream of questions I emit. If a similar opportunity exists in your area, take advantage of it!