Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Volunteer Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Trajan, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Trajan

Trajan Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

#1 Trajan, Aug 29, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

I had no volunteer experience and got into med school.

3. calipaww

calipaww Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i dont think i t matters either, as long as your experinces is some fashion contribute to your motivation/proove that you are fit to be in the med profession. i think as along as you are passionate about what you have done, that will come through in how you present them to adcom. good luck

4. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

I should point out that some interviewers or secondary applications ask flat-out "What volunteer work have you done?" and it is difficult to answer those questions if you don't have any.

5. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

IAdcomms look for signs of leadership and initiative. Volunteer work is one easy way to demonstrate this, but there are many others. The one thing I think you want to avoid is just focusing on academics. The lack of other outside activities can mark you as one-dimensional and undesirable, despite excellent grades and recommendations. But if your work experiences and LORs present you as well-balanced and focused, you should be fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...