Volunteer Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had no volunteer experience and got into med school.

i dont think i t matters either, as long as your experinces is some fashion contribute to your motivation/proove that you are fit to be in the med profession. i think as along as you are passionate about what you have done, that will come through in how you present them to adcom. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I should point out that some interviewers or secondary applications ask flat-out "What volunteer work have you done?" and it is difficult to answer those questions if you don't have any.

IAdcomms look for signs of leadership and initiative. Volunteer work is one easy way to demonstrate this, but there are many others. The one thing I think you want to avoid is just focusing on academics. The lack of other outside activities can mark you as one-dimensional and undesirable, despite excellent grades and recommendations. But if your work experiences and LORs present you as well-balanced and focused, you should be fine.