Volunteer Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarlyEditionDude

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about volunteering as a tutor in a local elementary school and I like to know if this is helpful in attaining medical school admissions. I also volunteer at a local hospital in the urgent care department. Does Adcomms really care what you do for your volunteering requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i think they care what you do for volunteering. it is a good thing to do as much as you can (ie this shows some dedication and compassion). i also think that it is important to get some hospital setting type stuff so that you at least have a vague idea what it is like to be around doctors and patients and what not.

the tutoring stuff is probably really good, i have read that the adcomms like volunteer experiences that are outside of medicine.

of course all of this is to varying degrees and depends on which schools, etc.

if you like doing it, keep on going with what makes you feel like you contributing.

As for specific volunteer activities, I don't think schools really care where you volunteer per se, but rather whether or not you have volunteered in a clinical setting (not that they even actually require this). As for tutoring at a local elementary school, I personally applaud you. I had a similar experience last year (at the school where The Sixth Sense was filmed no less...) and I can guarantee that this won't hurt you, and it should only stand to strengthen your application... Additionally, I know for a fact that some schools more than others specifically value community volunteer experience, and I know that MCP Hahnemann is one of those schoools where this would be a substantial plus on your app. I know some other schools are into this, although I can't say specifically which ones... try looking into schools' curriculums (curriculi?- yeah, I know I'm anal) to see if they have any classes related to community involvement as this would be indicative. MCPHU's is called Community Education Experience (CEE).