Volunteer Hours/Am I on the right track...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdprospect1

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am currently a sophomore in college and had a question about volunteering hours and how they are counted on AMCAS. Since I was in middle school, I volunteered at an Alzheimer's care facility (nursing home) by playing an instrument. I did this up until last March before COVID really started to get worse. Would hours volunteered during high school count because I continued volunteering at the same place or do I have to start from college? I know I can't add hours from when I was in middle school but I think it would be meaningful to talk about how I started this from a very young age. I realize there are some threads discussing this but I just wanted some clarity.

Also, I was wondering if I am on the right track in terms of my stats/ECs. I know that once I take my MCAT that'll strongly determine where I apply but I would like to know if my ECs are okay... I have not included hours but most of them are substantial. I'm just worried whether I'm doing enough. Thanks.

cGPA: 3.87

MCAT: Deciding whether to take it in junior or senior year if I want a gap year...

Volunteering:
-Nursing home
-Local hospital
-School club that helps kids with disabilities
-Mentoring kids program (kind of like BBBS)

Research:
-Microbio research at my college
-Cardiovascular summer internship

Shadowing:
-None (oof. trying to find opportunities rn)

Work experience:
-CNA at a nursing home

Leadership experience:
-SI leader for gen chem

Awards:
-Research scholarship from school

Members don't see this ad.

Not having shadowing or experiences working directly with physicians can potentially sink you at some schools. Adcom members really care about this because the only way a student can know if they really want to have the life of a doctor is to shadow or see what it's like in some other setting. It looks like your 'local hospital' volunteering may count as clinical volunteering- as long as you were working with patients, then it's clinical.

The general rule is to never include anything on your application from high school but if it's a continued experience, you could probably include the entire time period.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors