ktaspirestoberad

2+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2018
While a dual enrollment student at my local community college, I volunteered for a college campus program to provide food to the needy. My hours were substantial, and I was given a leadership position as well. I am wondering if I can include those hours on my medical school application. I received my BS in 3 years so I am concerned that my volunteer hours will not be as high as I would like them to be without including these hours. My BS program was in a different state so I was only able to continue volunteering at this organization when I was home on breaks. My volunteer hours after high school graduation for this organization are less than 15, but I did at least have some hours after high school. Addressing poverty/food insecurity has been a passion of mine, and I volunteered for one semester at a similar organization at the university where I obtained my BS but was then asked to become a paid university employee to oversee other volunteers from that point on. I would appreciate any advice, especially from any adcoms willing to chime in. Thanks!

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
While a dual enrollment student at my local community college, I volunteered for a college campus program to provide food to the needy. My hours were substantial, and I was given a leadership position as well. I am wondering if I can include those hours on my medical school application. I received my BS in 3 years so I am concerned that my volunteer hours will not be as high as I would like them to be without including these hours. My BS program was in a different state so I was only able to continue volunteering at this organization when I was home on breaks. My volunteer hours after high school graduation for this organization are less than 15, but I did at least have some hours after high school. Addressing poverty/food insecurity has been a passion of mine, and I volunteered for one semester at a similar organization at the university where I obtained my BS but was then asked to become a paid university employee to oversee other volunteers from that point on. I would appreciate any advice, especially from any adcoms willing to chime in. Thanks!
You were a college student while you provided that service. You can include those hours, but you might want to group it with the other similar experience (the volunteer portion) so you have someone more recent to list as the primary Contact.

ktaspirestoberad

2+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2018
You were a college student while you provided that service. You can include those hours, but you might want to group it with the other similar experience (the volunteer portion) so you have someone more recent to list as the primary Contact.
Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.