Volunteer Hrs: Can I count hours crocheting blankets for hospice patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareerNumTwo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer for a hospice. I do everything from visit with patients who are still fully alert and generally ok, sit with individuals who are actively "transitioning" and provide comfort to them and their families, and I also present certificates of appreciation in a private ceremony to veterans that come on hospice.

Something else the hospice does is presents veterans with a handmade red white and blue crocheted blanket at the same time I present the certificates. Recently they have run out of the patriotic blankets. So, over christmas break I took it upon myself to learn how to crochet and I made a blanket. The hospice volunteer coordinator loved it and requested I make more. The first one took me 30 hours. I'd love to keep making them, in addition to everything else I do, but it takes a long time and I can't put the hours on the hospice log since the log is only for patient contact.

As far as applying to dental schools, do you think I can use the hours I spend making these blankets to add to my volunteering hours? The volunteer coordinator would vouch for my hours if it came to that...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Alrighty then, thanks! :) For some reason, someone told me that my volunteer hours had to be interacting with people. I just assumed that would make the blanket thing a grey area...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say yes! Definitely a volunteer/EC activity. Might even put crocheting under the manual dexterity portion.

Btw, I think that's pretty awesome that you taught yourself how to crochet and use it for a great cause.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say yes! Definitely a volunteer/EC activity. Might even put crocheting under the manual dexterity portion. Btw, I think that's pretty awesome that you taught yourself how to crochet and use it for a great cause.

I didn't know there was a manual dexterity portion! (and thanks!) :)

I'm doing loads of crochet blankets for donation as well, so it better count! haha :nod:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing loads of crochet blankets for donation as well, so it better count! haha :nod:

That's awesome that I'm not the only one! Random question since you probably have more experience that I do - how long does it take you to make each one? My first was 100% single crochet and that's probably why it took so long. The one I recently started is half double crochet and it seems to be moving along faster but it's still going to take me around 20 hours... I don't do any patterns or anything yet - makes it a lot easier to just pick up wherever I left off when I have to study or go to class or whatever.

Last edited:
That's awesome that I'm not the only one! Random question since you probably have more experience that I do - how long does it take you to make each one? My first was 100% single crochet and that's probably why it took so long. The only I recently started is half double crochet and it seems to be moving along faster but it's still going to take me around 20 hours... I don't do any patterns or anything yet - makes it a lot easier to just pick up wherever I left off when I have to study or go to class or whatever.

Wow! Kudos for doing a single crochet blanket! I bet you were SO ready to be done with that one lol. I do mostly lap blankets (35"x45") with a 'basic' acrylic yarn, since it's washable, & tend to stick to double crochet. I would guess each one usually takes about 5 hours start to finish. I've toyed around with 'wave' and 'shell' (<--that one takes forever), but straight up dbl crochet with stripes is my go-to. Also, if you use a bulkier yarn, it will go by quicker. Those do tend to be more expensive though.

Wow! Kudos for doing a single crochet blanket! I bet you were SO ready to be done with that one lol. I do mostly lap blankets (35"x45") with a 'basic' acrylic yarn, since it's washable, & tend to stick to double crochet. I would guess each one usually takes about 5 hours start to finish. I've toyed around with 'wave' and 'shell' (<--that one takes forever), but straight up dbl crochet with stripes is my go-to. Also, if you use a bulkier yarn, it will go by quicker. Those do tend to be more expensive though.

I was SOOOO ready!!! Five hours per blanket would be amazing... double crocheting it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Very cool! I think it's a great volunteer experience and a good way to develop manual dexterity.