Volunteer in Africa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolRunnings

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a pre-med and want to spend 2-3 months next summer in Africa doing medical related volunteer work, teaching english, coaching soccer, or any combination of the above.

Has anyone done something similar in the past?

What are some good "programs" to look at, or people to go through? What countries would be best for the most hand on access to the people most in need?

Any reccomendations before I start planning the trip?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ask yourself why Africa and why not here in the US/Canada?

Ask yourself why Africa and why not here in the US/Canada?

I do plenty of volunteer work over here. I'd like to go abroad next summer for the following reasons:

-Experience another culture
-Get a better international perspective of health care
-See if I would like to do something like DWB eventually
-Gain some clinical experience
-Travel!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good reasons. Go for it.

As for programs, ask your school's pre-health.

If you ascribe to a faith or religion, many times you can go with a missions agency and volunteer at one of their hospitals; in those cases they usually are well-established in the area and therefore have many other programs (children's care, inner-city outreach, sports programs for kids) that you can get involved in. An example is SIM (Serving In Mission) at sim.org.

If you ascribe to a faith or religion, many times you can go with a missions agency and volunteer at one of their hospitals; in those cases they usually are well-established in the area and therefore have many other programs (children's care, inner-city outreach, sports programs for kids) that you can get involved in. An example is SIM (Serving In Mission) at sim.org.

This is true. I know in the country where I served there were lots of Lutheran and Catholic missions everywhere.

For the Lutheran missions, there were always lots of visitors/volunteers that were there for 1-2 months.

They also had a hospital and school within their compound that served nearby community members.