Volunteer in Punjab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

writersblues

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this site and am really hoping that someone here can help me out with a dilemma. I am in 2nd year of my BSc program (in North America) right now and my goal is to eventually get into med school. I want to volunteer this summer in India and I know that there are certain restrictions to this in terms of what a med school actually wants. I don't know if I can just go to one of the hospitals in Punjab (probably Amritsar or Jalandhar) and volunteer there. Is that the type of things that med schools look for or is it better to go with some sort of an organizatiton on an arranged trip?

Members don't see this ad.

I think even though it is a good idea and a good deed to volunteer in a hospital in punjab or wherever in india, someone might ask you why not just volunteer here in a US hospital as people in the US need help too. Thats why its a better idea to volunteer for an organization that works in punjab because then you are working for a specific cause to eliminate a problem specific to the region. One the other hand, you can get a few people/students to go with you to india and help out in the villages of punjab or anywhere else. And you don't specifically have to work directly in the medical field, anything that betters the public is medical/health related and is what is wanted or at least looked upon on in a application. I know a group of indian kids from my university who went to bihar and taught in a school for disabled girls and next year they plan to go to punjab and it was all independent work. Now, thats a commitment to the wealth of people.

Hi. I am new to this site and am really hoping that someone here can help me out with a dilemma. I am in 2nd year of my BSc program (in North America) right now and my goal is to eventually get into med school. I want to volunteer this summer in India and I know that there are certain restrictions to this in terms of what a med school actually wants. I don't know if I can just go to one of the hospitals in Punjab (probably Amritsar or Jalandhar) and volunteer there. Is that the type of things that med schools look for or is it better to go with some sort of an organizatiton on an arranged trip?

I don't think it's easy to just show up and volunteer in a hospital. You either go through a contact in the hospital or organise a medical project with an organization. I met fellow Projects Abroad volunteers who did a medical placement in Sri Lanka and they said were able to observe so many departments in the hospital and have seen so many surgeries which definitely they won't see in their hospital back at home.

I guess if you volunteer abroad you'll also see a different set up and type of treatments.

Anways good luck.