1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Volunteer Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Youngm2194, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Youngm2194

2+ Year Member

I'm having an interview at Yale-New Haven to be a volunteer in the hospital. I specifically designated that I want to work in the ER or an area that gives you exposure, not like a gift shop etc. what are some questions I should expect? They give everyone interviews so I'm just curious. I'm guessing questions just like why would you like to volunteer and what to you expect to gain from the experience.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DielsAlder

Medical Student
    My volunteer interviews were typically more laid back than my research interviews. Pretty easy to prepare for. Expect to answer questions about your schedule and time commitment, career interests, previous clinical experience, etc.

4. GoZagsMD

Pre-Medical
    Yeah questions about career aspirations, experience working with others, pretty much anything you expected. Most of my interview was starting paperwork like I had already got the position. Its nothing to stress over

5. grivacobae

grivacobae Whatascrub
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If anything you should see how they are and interview them, make sure they can meet to your requirements as much as possible, I mean, you are giving away your time for free, if they can't really help you out, look for another hospital that would gladly help you and have you. You pretty much have the volunteer gig, unless you don't shower for a few days, and show up with a McDonald's small drink in your hand...

6. coffeemergency

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    My volunteer interview experiences were also laid back, and I got an ED assignment at one hospital and an OR assignment at the other. The questions were mostly about interpersonal skills, how I handle stress, and what my interests were. Be genuine but also enthusiastic about the volunteer opportunities, and be honest about what you're aiming for. It's your time.