Quantcast

Volunteer on addition to clinic job?

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomaj

Reaction score
I currently work as a MA in a general medicine clinic, in a hospital. I'm working full time now because its close to summer, but once fall hits again and I'm back up to full time school, I'm going back down to about 20 hrs a week at work. Should I volunteer on top of this in a medical setting? I feel like the clinic being general I'm seeing a lot (geriatrics, aviation, pediatrics, podiatry, diabetics, OB/GYN, etc), and have a lot of clinic knowledge. Or should I seek out a different kind of volunteer position that isn't necessarily medically related, and if so, what should I look into?

I'm also looking into shadowing outside of my clinic for other specialties. So basically, I'm asking, am I good on experience in the field if I include my job and shadowing on my application, and then seek out volunteering somewhere else? Or should I do both, or just stick to the medical field? :smack:

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work as a MA in a general medicine clinic, in a hospital. I'm working full time now because its close to summer, but once fall hits again and I'm back up to full time school, I'm going back down to about 20 hrs a week at work. Should I volunteer on top of this in a medical setting? I feel like the clinic being general I'm seeing a lot (geriatrics, aviation, pediatrics, podiatry, diabetics, OB/GYN, etc), and have a lot of clinic knowledge. Or should I seek out a different kind of volunteer position that isn't necessarily medically related, and if so, what should I look into?

I'm also looking into shadowing outside of my clinic for other specialties. So basically, I'm asking, am I good on experience in the field if I include my job and shadowing on my application, and then seek out volunteering somewhere else? Or should I do both, or just stick to the medical field? :smack:

I think thats satisfactory clinical experience even when for pay is pretty legitimate. If there is some medical volunteering that interests you, then by all means. However, I wouldn't exclude alternative volunteering positions if they interest you. Either would fit nicely. I personally did most of my volunteering in a teaching setting.