Volunteer opportunities for cleft palate patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColumbiaOrtho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking for possible volunteer opportunities to help cleft palate children or patients. I am also looking for the research opportunities regarding cleft palate and lip, but I am not sure where to start. I googled some of the hospitals in Illinois that treat cleft palate patients, and I found some of them do conduct research associated with the cleft palates. However, I was not sure if it is okay to directly email them and ask for volunteer and research assistance opportunities. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Email, make a call, ask them in person. You'll never know of the opportunities which are out there if you don't venture out and look for them.

I was assisting an oral surgeon on researching children and young adults with cleft and craniofacial anomalies and he ended up writing a LOR for me. It will surely look good on your application. You just have to reach out. Some may say that they are not in need of assistance, but there probably is someone in your area where research assistance is needed. Go for it!

-Fyz

Email, make a call, ask them in person. You'll never know of the opportunities which are out there if you don't venture out and look for them.

I was assisting an oral surgeon on researching children and young adults with cleft and craniofacial anomalies and he ended up writing a LOR for me. It will surely look good on your application. You just have to reach out. Some may say that they are not in need of assistance, but there probably is someone in your area where research assistance is needed. Go for it!

-Fyz
Thank you very much!