Volunteer opportunities in veterinary public health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHlivia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in becoming a public health veterinarian (I know, I'm boring :p) and I would LOVE to get some time doing ANYTHING in this area this summer. My county's Veterinary Public Health Division seems like they'd be fairly easy to volunteer with, but they're about an hour and a half away. Does anyone know of any other sources I could go to, like a lower level of the county office?

Members don't see this ad.

well . . . . public health my be alot of things but one thing it is not is boring! At least not in my job.

I dont know where you live so I will speak generically . .Have you tried places other than the health departments. The FDA and USDA have student internships (paid too!!!) for public health opportunities. The USDA has field offices everywhere, especially in rural places. Your state might also have something similar to Texas as far as animal epidemiologists. In TX we have what is called the Texas Animal health Commission that deals solely with food production animal disease control while we at the health department deal more with zoonotics. Your state might have a similar organization.

Also if you are still getting your bachelor's look to see if there is a professor doing some work in zoonotics with whom you can work with during the summer if the others don't pan out. Obviously more research than public health orientated but still very useful!!

Some links:

http://www.da.usda.gov/employ/college-students.htm
http://www.fda.gov/oc/op/internship.html

For the FDA internshp, you might want to specifically state you are interested in Veterinary Public Health.

Last edited:
I actually live in Texas so that's some great info! Thanks a lot!

And on the research note, now that you mention it I do have a professor whose been doing research on a public health thing in Sri Lanka (I think?) for the last 10 years, but its not based on animals, but instead on the water supply. Would it be good to see if I can do anything with him on this even though its not based on animals? I suppose it couldn't hurt as long as it wasn't keeping me from getting animal-related experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check this out:
http://www.fieldstudies.org/pages/4157_kenya.cfm

There are other local lower level things to get involved with for PH stuff - get with a field biologist collecting data for a rabies control program for example. Or working in a lab with foodborne illnesses in Galveston. Or any diagnostic lab, like TVMDL. Or Texas Department of State Health Services or TAHC...big brownie points there but it kinda depends where you live.

I'd say the Sri Lanka thing is fine, any and all research looks great on your application. Plus it is definitely PH. But its not necessarily veterinary.

Ah, you live in Texas?? Well now I can really help you!

I work for the Texas Department of State Health Services (formerly department of health) rabies-zoonosis control program. If you let me know where you live, not an address or anything like that but more along the lines of county or city, I can put you in touch or personally contact one of the public health veterinarians over your DSHS Region to see what they have in your area. If you are not near any DSHS office, they will definitely have TAHC, local health departments, usda, etc. contacts or oppotunities they can suggest for you.

If you dont feel comfortable advertising where you live send me a pm (and I certainly understand). Due to the size of Texas, it is broken up into 11 regions with about 9 different public health vets over them, so I just need to know approximately where you live so I can put you in contact with the right vet. If you live close to the DFW mextroplex area, I work in that region and can help you out. Good luck!

If you find something else, might I also suggest volunteering for our next Oral Rabies Vaccine Program (ORVP) next year. It generally runs from January thru February and we take student volunteers. For liability reasons they probably wont let you up into the planes but there is definitely plenty of ground work to be done. Here is our link . . we are very proud of this program!!

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/disease/rabies/orvp/

Athane-

I live in Arlington, TX. Through your contacts at work or otherwise, do you know of any PH related volunteer opportunities in the Tarrant County area? This field is a huge interest of mine. I'd be thrilled for some PH specific volunteer experience.

Sure, I will see what I can do, I will pm you.