Volunteer Position in Radiology at Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geauxtiger1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, junior here.
I just got a position for volunteering at my city's hospital.
I was able to use my charms with the volunteer director to not get stuck at the front desk doing papers and instead got in the radiology department to help with whatever, yay me!
I went for the first day the other day for about an hour and a half AMAZING! got to watch 3 CT scans, helped push an IV stand while the tech pushed the patient in a wheelchair and even got to get all scrubbed out and wear an X-ray chest and thyroid protection pads because they asked for a tech to come take X-rays during a foot surgery, by which the supervisor asked the tech if I could tag along with her. Got to watch the majority of the surgery ( which was absolutely amazing!!!) and help move and adjust the X-ray machines when they were ready.
(I know these are very humble tasks but much better than just shadowing)
I'm allowed to come whenever I want and stay however long, just have to give an email heads up.

Anyways my problem is this, I'm scared ****less that I'll just be standing there for long periods of time being useless tomorrow because the supervisor who told the techs to let me help and follow them will only be there for 30 minutes tomorrow as her shift ends when I can get there.
She said my first day they were excited for me because they do need help around there, but what could I possibly do!? She even went so far as to say I'll be able to after a couple days to do a lot, just not stuff like pressing the start button for CT scans.
How do I assert myself or keep busy, do I constantly bug the techs or the occasional doctor asking them if they need help.
Should I bring a list of questions I can be asking throughout my time there? (Obviously I should).
What kind of questions?
I don't know why I'm so nervous I work at a sleep clinic whenever I'm free and do just fine there,( although I'm running out of things questions to ask, things to do).
Maybe I'm just letting the nervousness get the better of me. But still, I want to be sure that I end up being useless baggage without anything to do or ask.

Any and all help wanted please.

Members don't see this ad.

Well if its a volunteer position maybe you should keep the questions on the low side since you're there to help primarily (you can bug them, but don't ask every 5 minutes). I doubt the techs will ignore you, but they'll probably make you do the more boring jobs (to them at least).

Otherwise this sounds hella cool, you got lucky to land it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, junior here.
I just got a position for volunteering at my city's hospital.
I was able to use my charms with the volunteer director to not get stuck at the front desk doing papers and instead got in the radiology department to help with whatever, yay me!
I went for the first day the other day for about an hour and a half AMAZING! got to watch 3 CT scans, helped push an IV stand while the tech pushed the patient in a wheelchair and even got to get all scrubbed out and wear an X-ray chest and thyroid protection pads because they asked for a tech to come take X-rays during a foot surgery, by which the supervisor asked the tech if I could tag along with her. Got to watch the majority of the surgery ( which was absolutely amazing!!!) and help move and adjust the X-ray machines when they were ready.
(I know these are very humble tasks but much better than just shadowing)
I'm allowed to come whenever I want and stay however long, just have to give an email heads up.

Anyways my problem is this, I'm scared ****less that I'll just be standing there for long periods of time being useless tomorrow because the supervisor who told the techs to let me help and follow them will only be there for 30 minutes tomorrow as her shift ends when I can get there.
She said my first day they were excited for me because they do need help around there, but what could I possibly do!? She even went so far as to say I'll be able to after a couple days to do a lot, just not stuff like pressing the start button for CT scans.
How do I assert myself or keep busy, do I constantly bug the techs or the occasional doctor asking them if they need help.
Should I bring a list of questions I can be asking throughout my time there? (Obviously I should).
What kind of questions?
I don't know why I'm so nervous I work at a sleep clinic whenever I'm free and do just fine there,( although I'm running out of things questions to ask, things to do).
Maybe I'm just letting the nervousness get the better of me. But still, I want to be sure that I end up being useless baggage without anything to do or ask.

Any and all help wanted please.
Don't forget to talk to the patients. Some of them are scared or anxious. They often welcome the distraction of contact with a caring person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. so ask questions but not too many, talk to the patients, and remind the staff of my existence.
Will keep in mind. Anything else?

Ok. so ask questions but not too many, talk to the patients, and remind the staff of my existence.
Will keep in mind. Anything else?
Please don't do this.

Your job is service. It isn't about you. It is about being helpful and making patients comfortable.

Pay attention to what needs to be done and try to take extra initiative to help.

Remember, you aren't the main character.

Reactions: 1 users
Please don't do this.

Your job is service. It isn't about you. It is about being helpful and making patients comfortable.

Pay attention to what needs to be done and try to take extra initiative to help.

Remember, you aren't the main character.

It might be helpful to say, "what can I do to help?"

Reactions: 2 users
It might be helpful to say, "what can I do to help?"
And for patients (though checj with your sup), "can I get anything/do anything for you?". Once you get more familiar, you will know if you can give water, magazines, sit down and talk to them...etc

Your right I won't try to be the "main character."
I also will be working with the radiology in the er during afternoon hours. Any advice for there? Yes I know to stay out of the way if someone is being rushed in on a gurney.

Your right I won't try to be the "main character."
I also will be working with the radiology in the er during afternoon hours. Any advice for there? Yes I know to stay out of the way if someone is being rushed in on a gurney.
Offer to clean things, maybe? It depends on your hospital. The ones I worked at always love someone to wipe counters/beds and organize supplies or carry blankets.

I didn't mean to offend you btw. Just wanted to be clear that your focus should be in the right place!

Yea there's some ideas I for sure will use!
And no worries, no offense taken! I was picking up what you were putting down.