Volunteer position - only for four months

milosavljevic

Sep 23, 2009
    Hi,

I am currently going through the process of starting non-clinical volunteering. I have heard from various sources that it looks different to have a few, long-term experiences compared to more random, short-term experiences.

I knew going into the volunteering that I will be moving this September to another location in the state, and therefore will only be able to volunteer for about four months (~4 hrs per week) before moving away. The program coordinator was fine with this since the position doesn't require much training.

I'm torn because I've always been someone who values long-term commitment, and don't want to make it seem like I just "did something" for the sake of filling time and then dropped it. I am sincerely interested in the cause of the program so that's why I interviewed for the position. On the other hand, I don't want to not follow through with all of this just because I am concerned about how it will look to have a short-term experience.

Does anyone have any advice?

Iliketoytles

5+ Year Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Texas
    1. Medical Student
      It's fine. Go ahead and volunteer for the 4 months, and it'll be enough to put on your application. It won't show that you were a quitter or that you just did it to put on your app, if that's what you're worried about.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.