Sep 22, 2009
Status
Hi,

I am currently going through the process of starting non-clinical volunteering. I have heard from various sources that it looks different to have a few, long-term experiences compared to more random, short-term experiences.

I knew going into the volunteering that I will be moving this September to another location in the state, and therefore will only be able to volunteer for about four months (~4 hrs per week) before moving away. The program coordinator was fine with this since the position doesn't require much training.

I'm torn because I've always been someone who values long-term commitment, and don't want to make it seem like I just "did something" for the sake of filling time and then dropped it. I am sincerely interested in the cause of the program so that's why I interviewed for the position. On the other hand, I don't want to not follow through with all of this just because I am concerned about how it will look to have a short-term experience.

Does anyone have any advice?

Iliketoytles

5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
Status
Medical Student
It's fine. Go ahead and volunteer for the 4 months, and it'll be enough to put on your application. It won't show that you were a quitter or that you just did it to put on your app, if that's what you're worried about.

About the Ads