Volunteer to go Active, Abroad? Military Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ba52

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm in my last year of residency in Psychiatry. I have 16 years of National Guard time and am in drill status currently. I used the Army National Guard ASR program as a medical student and am currently getting loan repayment, year for year to the tune of $40K (actually $30K after tax), up to 6 years. I'll have 2 of these years paid by graduation in June.

As I approach graduation I have been thinking seriously about volunteering to go active for a few years doing Psychiatry ideally somewhere like Germany, Japan or South Korea. I like the idea of serving soldiers or airmen and have had a great experience so far stateside. I will say that the time I spent in the Air Guard felt more productive and organized from a leadership standpoint, though the Army has introduced me to many great friends and fine people. I'd like to be able to travel some while abroad. I have a 14 year old kid who would be coming with and so high schools around base are important. I really love the idea of a cultural experience living abroad.

I've reached out to the Air Force and they tell me 3 years minimum for contracts/tours, never heard of any exceptions but they are hurting for psychiatrists and if I want to go abroad then I would likely have a pick of places and ability to specify in contract before signing. Financially I have no clue what compensation is looking like. AF is offering a $272K sign on bonus, not sure if this is pre-tax (which would cut it by about 40%) or if it is divided over 3 years. The local VA is paying graduating psychiatrists a starting salary of around $200K with $24K in loan repayment (plus the 30K in loan repayment I get from the Army National Guard). Can anyone shed light on the pay for physicians?

Also it would be most helpful to know what my clinical responsibilities would look like. I don't feel a recruiter can adequately describe patient load, admin tasks, call schedule and job stress. Anyone who can speak to being a military psychiatrist, specifically abroad, I would love your input.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I should clarify no current ongoing contractual or incentive obligations that require I stay in the Army Guard, other than wanting to finish this year to get the loan repayment.

you don't have to actually leave the guard to "go active".....call the national office (forget the name, but the folks that schedule guard deployments) and tell them you are willing to go somewhere and ask what they have available.....rinse/wash/repeat when that tour is done

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't have to actually leave the guard to "go active".....call the national office (forget the name, but the folks that schedule guard deployments) and tell them you are willing to go somewhere and ask what they have available.....rinse/wash/repeat when that tour is done
Thanks for the reply, my understanding with "going active with the Guard", especially overseas, is that your family can't come. If I'm wrong please correct me. Leaving the kid with grandma for a year is going to be a no-go, though I do like the idea of stringing together a few shorter tours.

Thanks for the reply, my understanding with "going active with the Guard", especially overseas, is that your family can't come. If I'm wrong please correct me. Leaving the kid with grandma for a year is going to be a no-go, though I do like the idea of stringing together a few shorter tours.
I think there might be a distinction here between "allowed" and "paid for" but I've not gone through this yet.....your mileage may vary but it might be worth asking

My understanding, FWIW, continue with the VA and the Guard. You'll make more money and put yourself into a 10 year repayment plan. Don't forget about moonlighting outside of the VA for 1099 cash which your accountant will be happy to play with.

My understanding, FWIW, continue with the VA and the Guard. You'll make more money and put yourself into a 10 year repayment plan. Don't forget about moonlighting outside of the VA for 1099 cash which your accountant will be happy to play with.

I figured the VA+Guard (total compensation around $250K) would be slightly more lucrative than the active military but given the large sign on bonus ($272K) and the value of a few years of adventure, what's the real difference? Money is important but it's not everything. The break even point financially for the military would need to be a salary around $160K (with dividing the sign on bonus over 3 years at $90K/yr). I have no idea if that is possible or not.

Other perks like Space A travel?

I figured the VA+Guard (total compensation around $250K) would be slightly more lucrative than the active military but given the large sign on bonus ($272K) and the value of a few years of adventure, what's the real difference? Money is important but it's not everything. The break even point financially for the military would need to be a salary around $160K (with dividing the sign on bonus over 3 years at $90K/yr). I have no idea if that is possible or not.

Appears you've got it all figured out!

I figured the VA+Guard (total compensation around $250K) would be slightly more lucrative than the active military but given the large sign on bonus ($272K) and the value of a few years of adventure, what's the real difference?
Check and double check that sign-on bonus. When I looked into that (granted, several years ago), it was a no-go since I was already a commissioned officer.

I too am a Guardsman who was looking to potentially go active for a few years. Some specific language that I saw that disqualified me was:

"Individuals who have held an appointment as a Medical Corps officer with any branch of service or component within twenty four months at time of application are not eligible."

Also, since I took ASR, another piece of language that worried me about the accession bonus was:

"Individuals are not eligible if they received any financial assistance from DOD to pursue their medical degree or specialty including HPSP and FAP, even if the obligation for this assistance has been served."

DoD is not above telling you you're eligible, then changing their mind and coming back for the money many months later when they determine you are not. Caveat emptor.
This is a nice perk for 19yo soldiers. For families, less so. It's hard to plan on Space A for a vacation in which you have hotels, rental cars, etc. dependent on your arrival at a certain place and time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As an aside, when I looked into going active (ARNG --> Active Army), I was told the minimum hitch was 2 years. I was told I could negotiate my location within reason.