volunteer vs paid EMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackarrowmoose

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ive been a trained EMT since i was 17 from my home state. However my university is located in another state and i do have to get my license transferred. Im going to be completing that process soon so i was wondering should attempt to get a paid position at my school's EMS corps? Or should i go to a local hospital and volunteer there. Im conflicted on which would be better on my application

working in a hospital/clinical enviroment is always better than just volunteering in the same location! As an employee you have a far broader aspect of communicating with other medical staff and you can be more involved with patient care than typical volunteering. Although it doesn't hurt to do both!

Get your EMT license transferred and try for a job in the hospital (e.g., ED Tech or CC Tech).

Members don't see this ad :)
whats an ED/CC tech?

ED Tech -- Emergency Dept (aka ER) Tech
CC Tech -- Critical Care (i.e., ICU, etc.) Tech

They're where you typically see EMS personnel working as techs in a hospital setting. Most are very competitive positions but it's always worth trying. Sometimes there are "backdoor" routes to these positions as well. You should utilize networking as much as possible.

Just answered a similar question. EMT stuff on your app is EMT stuff on your app. Whether you get paid for it or not does not make a difference.

I will agree however, that it may look slightly better to do it at a different institution. It shows that you don't just take the easiest and/or first opportunity available.

Working as an ED tech in a hospital would be even better because it is excellent patient care experience and you would be working fairly closely with physicians as well.

how would one go about obtaining an ED tech job?

^See my posts above. Also, try a search.