volunteer vs. pharm technician vs pharm intern vs pharmacist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find any info on this.
So what exactly differentiates pharmacy these.

Ok I know that the pharmacist is able to do everything.

The intern can do everything under the supervision of the pharmacist. right?

How about a licensed pharmacy technician, what exactly can they do? Can they fill prescriptions..count pills? etc?

Volunteer: can do anything but count pills/fill prescriptions? Cashier, inventory, stocking, telephone etc..

Am i missing anything?
I don't really get the differentiating factor.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't find any info on this.
So what exactly differentiates pharmacy these.

Ok I know that the pharmacist is able to do everything.

The intern can do everything under the supervision of the pharmacist. right?

How about a licensed pharmacy technician, what exactly can they do? Can they fill prescriptions..count pills? etc?

Volunteer: can do anything but count pills/fill prescriptions? Cashier, inventory, stocking, telephone etc..

Am i missing anything?
I don't really get the differentiating factor.
Thanks.

RPh (Registered Licensed Pharmacist): Can perform any duty in a pharmacy.

P1-P3 Interns can perform counseling under RPh supervision, count or make IVs for prescriptions, input orders and check-out patients. Possibly take doctor called rxes/orders.

P4 Interns and Grad Interns can do what P1-P3 can but can check Rx or Orders under RPh supervision, take Doctor called rxes/orders

Rx Techs: Can fill Rxes or make IVs, Indate/Outdate Rx returns, Check out Prescriptions, RX techs can not usually take doc orders (in some states it is up to the RPh to train techs to take doc orders), Can NOT counsel or offer advice to Patients and Can NOT make recommendations to doctors.

Remember each state may vary on the duties of each job, you can look at your dept of health website to see specific job functions.

Hope this Helps

Pharmd1