volunteer work abroad--limited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ten10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing some volunteer work abroad. The thing is, I don't want to volunteer abroad for medicine-related purposes. I'm not sure what exactly I want to do, but I want to help out in some way... it might even be for something like conservation.

Truthfully, my clinical work is nothing spectacular, mostly because I like what I do, so I haven't really expanded much:
-hospital volunteering (continual for years--will probably add up to 200-300 hrs)
-I've shadowed two doctors for a total of 30 hours each
-planning on working as a pharmacy tech this summer, but I was thinking maybe I'll work on getting a phlebotomy certification.
--would it be bad if i wanted to work as a pharm tech instead of as a phlebotomist?.. it's easier to get work as a pharm tech.

anyway, my point is... with the program I'm going to be entering, there IS a medically-related trip I can take to the same country for the same price as all other non-medical-related trips. the reason I don't want to go through the medicine-related one is because I kind of want to just explore my other interests, in addition to medicine. I know I'm pre-med, but I'd really like to try other types of things.
I know it won't be a disadvantage to take this trip, but .... I mean, based on just my EC's, should I just take the medicine-trip anyway?

TO SUM IT ALL UP:
i'm not in my senior year, but let's pretend all my clinical ECs I've listed are what I'd put for my app. but do you think it would really be any stronger to list that I went to ______ country for medicine-volunteering rather than _______(the same country) for conservation purposes?

Members don't see this ad.

You can always do the Peace Corps.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to participate in the program that is unrelated to medicine than do it. You should not feel guilty or foolish for wanting to explore interests outside of medicine... in fact, you should pat yourself on the back. If you still want to apply to medical school after this trip, then your experience will be an excellent interview or secondary story. Adcoms are not looking for people who have blinders for medicine. They are more interested in training well rounded individuals who have evaluated all their options and decided that they truly want to be doctors. So go try some new things and if you still want to go to medical school afterwards then you will be better informed and more well rounded for taking some time (even if its just a summer) off from your "pre-med" lifestyle!

If you really want to participate in the program that is unrelated to medicine than do it. You should not feel guilty or foolish for wanting to explore interests outside of medicine... in fact, you should pat yourself on the back. If you still want to apply to medical school after this trip, then your experience will be an excellent interview or secondary story. Adcoms are not looking for people who have blinders for medicine. They are more interested in training well rounded individuals who have evaluated all their options and decided that they truly want to be doctors. So go try some new things and if you still want to go to medical school afterwards then you will be better informed and more well rounded for taking some time (even if its just a summer) off from your "pre-med" lifestyle!

thanks!

Also, it seems like doing some kind of medical volunteering abroad is becoming "the thing" to do these days. It has been added to the proverbial pre-med checklist. I imagine adcoms are starting to view these trips as just another way for gunner pre-meds to get into medical school, rather than doing it because they really care. (Whether this is true or not) In any case, medical volunteering abroad is not so unique anymore, while conservation work is! I think you should experience something new, and don't feel like you HAVE to do something because you are pre-med. Just do what you WANT to do, do what you are passionate about, and life will lead you in the right direction!

Also, it seems like doing some kind of medical volunteering abroad is becoming "the thing" to do these days. It has been added to the proverbial pre-med checklist. I imagine adcoms are starting to view these trips as just another way for gunner pre-meds to get into medical school, rather than doing it because they really care. (Whether this is true or not) In any case, medical volunteering abroad is not so unique anymore, while conservation work is! I think you should experience something new, and don't feel like you HAVE to do something because you are pre-med. Just do what you WANT to do, do what you are passionate about, and life will lead you in the right direction!

thank you!

Both Julietcf and Picklesali gave you some rock solid advice.

Never be afraid to diversify your app. Most premeds come through with applications that look just like their neighbors. Doing something slightly different with your time will only help you to stand out.

Talk to folks that have been through the application process and they will tell you that the thing that pops up most often during interviews is the oddities, not the norm. I was asked about my hobby of underwater photography at 4 of 5 interviews. My 3 years volunteering in the ER? Never brought up by them once.

And the volunteering abroad thing can be cliched. It's a lot of fun. Adcoms know that. There's nothing wrong with it, but the amount of money it costs to go down and do 1 week of volunteer work that a premed is qualified for could easily be spent sponsoring 5 better qualified locals to do 5 times the work.

That aside, if you have the time, instead of one week in Nicaragua, why not spend one month working in a free clinic or other domestic work that you could afford to do for longer. Med schools really do look for depth.

Anyway, best of luck on your app!