Volunteer work Vs. Paid Job...Please Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sikesalt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional applicant. I don't have any clinical experience or volunteer work yet. I am going to be applying next summer/fall. I am pretty much done with all my post-bacc classes. Next semeseter I will be studying for the MCAT and possibly taking one class. I need to get clinical experience for my application. Would it be better to do volunteer work, or would getting a job in at a hospital or something be just as good. Thanks very much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

as long as u have the expereince then its okay, i 'll go for the paid work, but thats just me. :)

yeah go for the paid work. those application fees add up reaaaaaaaaal quickly. ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would first try to get a paid job where you would have direct contact with patients. Have you thought about phlebotomy? I think it is possible to get certified over a weekend for ~$200 (I have seen ads for it in SoCal).

Also keep in mind that some school would like to see your commitment to community service (=volunteer work), so if you could squeeze in a minimum of 4 hours/week it could only help you. I was a hospice volunteer for a year, which was very rewarding.

Good luck!

I was in your same situation this year... non-trad student taking the mcat... i worked for $$$ and have had no problem getting interviews at pretty good schools. It should be fine as long as you are able to communicate your desire to go into medicine as well as demonstrate that you have done clinical work for a substancial amount of time (close to a year is good). GOOD LUCK!!!

My vote would be for paid work as well. While volunteering does show off your altruistic side, paid positions usually give you more clinical exposure because of the increased expectations/demands of the position.

As Stan mentioned, adding a mix of both would be ideal (if time permits, of course).

Good luck to a fellow non-trad! Also, check out www.oldpremeds .org for more support from people in similar situations.

look into getting an emt cert. it gives you alot of options.

Keep in mind that ADCOMS look for commitment to service. It's like that movie "Gross Anatomy". A ER physician asked Matthew Modine WHY is he working there, Dedicated or Poor?

First answer was Poor, than later IN the MOVIE he answered Dedicated.

YOU HAVE TO SHOW DEDICATION. Thus, I would Volunteer. Furthermore, if you want to hit the NAIL on the head, volunteer to SHADOW a physician. This will give you ammunition during the interviews.

Lastly, who said you have to pick and choose. Why not work 12-16 hours a week, and volunteer 8 hours a week somewhere.

JUST KEEP IN MIND, volunteering shows a HUMANITARIAN trait. Working in a hospital could mean that you are Poor.

Dedicated or Poor?

The right answer is DEDICATED to medicine. MEDICINE ABOVE ALL IS A SERVICE ORIENTED CAREER. SHOW THIS BY VOLUNTEERING.