Volunteer work vs. Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the organator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously outstanding research experience is better than mediocre volunteer work, and vice-versa, but in general, which of the two is more important?

Members don't see this ad.

the organator said:
Obviously outstanding research experience is better than mediocre volunteer work, and vice-versa, but in general, which of the two is more important?
Research!

swifteagle43 said:
Research!

what does it mean exactly when you get published... and is it essential that you do get published when you do research?

Members don't see this ad :)
swifteagle43 said:
Research!
in terms of the more prestigous academic medicine schools, yes research is definitely more important but at places more focused on primary care the volunteer experiences can play a big part.

case in point: at my harvard interview, both interviewers focused on my research and only briefly touched on volunteer stuff and that was just to show leadership.

at my umass interview, which is a leader in primary care, all they wanted to talk about was community service and barely skimmed over my research.

Your question is too vague. If you do lab research in lieu of any kind of volunteering that would give you patient contact, that's different than if you do research and have a job in the clinical realm.

avinash said:
what does it mean exactly when you get published... and is it essential that you do get published when you do research?
It means that you're listed as an author on a paper that is published in a peer-reviewed science journal. It's not essential that you get published, because sometimes they won't list your name even though you did a lot of work, but it sure is solid proof that you were involved.

CarleneM said:
in terms of the more prestigous academic medicine schools, yes research is definitely more important but at places more focused on primary care the volunteer experiences can play a big part.

case in point: at my harvard interview, both interviewers focused on my research and only briefly touched on volunteer stuff and that was just to show leadership.

at my umass interview, which is a leader in primary care, all they wanted to talk about was community service and barely skimmed over my research.
I think it's good if you pick a tack and stick with it. I have a lot of research and no volunteering and I just emphasized in my app that I'm research-oriented. Everyone doesn't have to do everything. But whatever you do, do it a lot, and do it well, that's the main point. btw, I just found out I got into Mt Sinai (research heavy school)!

the organator said:

Where are you trying to get in? The reality is, most students who get into prestigious med schools have some of both. You generally want to have evidence of leadership in one or the other as well (it's hard to have time to excel in both) manfiested either by a good letter of rec from a research adviser usually reflective of something like a summer of work plus a year of part-time work, or leadership/having founded some volunteering organization, done an overseas service sting (preferably something at least a summer long or a year after graduation), etc.

Publication is, of course, very nice, but the reality is, most med school matriculants (including those in MD/PhD programs) don't have it at time of application.

Do both. The schools want to know that you know what you're getting into by joining the medical profession.

Wrigleyville said:
Do both. The schools want to know that you know what you're getting into by joining the medical profession.

Yea, do both!!