Volunteering @ a hospital - but can't shadow. Good/bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luelinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have zero hours shadowing a physician. The earliest I can will be during Thanksgiving break shadowing my uncle who is an MD. Since I have to do a field study for my major, I chose to go to the local hospital, and the woman who runs volunteering said the physicians are "swamped" with students already :(

But she did say I can volunteer 4 hours/week:

working at the front desk and E.R. desk
stock supplies and inventory
running labs
moving patients to their rooms (which is good patient interaction I assume?)

Do you think that this opportunity might be a little bit better than just shadowing. The patient interaction part I feel is critical too, and if I was just shadowing...it would be strictly passive.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I have zero hours shadowing a physician. The earliest I can will be during Thanksgiving break shadowing my uncle who is an MD. Since I have to do a field study for my major, I chose to go to the local hospital, and the woman who runs volunteering said the physicians are "swamped" with students already :(

But she did say I can volunteer 4 hours/week:

working at the front desk and E.R. desk
stock supplies and inventory
running labs
moving patients to their rooms (which is good patient interaction I assume?)

Do you think that this opportunity might be a little bit better than just shadowing. The patient interaction part I feel is critical too, and if I was just shadowing...it would be strictly passive.

What are your thoughts?
When are you applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fall 2012, during a post-baccalaureate year (2012-2013) either in a formal program or research program. I am a senior now.
K, then definitely get involved with the volunteering. The desk gigs are no good. You need to be back in the patient care areas, around the sick people and the doctors

Do the shadowing during breaks/when you have time

Take the volunteer position and try to do transport as much as possible as opposed to desk work. Thanksgiving isn't too late to start shadowing! See if your uncle knows any other physicians you can shadow...this kind of networking is far better than trying to find people to shadow through hospital volunteering.

Dress better than the other volunteers, be seen working hard with a smile on your face, don't get in anybody's way, and volunteer to do the jobs nobody else wants to do. When you see something that needs cleaning, CLEAN IT. Learn the procedure for cleaning rooms after discharge, and stay on top of which rooms just became dirty. Eventually it will be noticed by the staff. Don't pester anyone about shadowing.

I volunteer in the ER and I spend my shift restocking linen carts, cleaning rooms after discharge, cleaning up the staff break room, and filling charts. I also carry around snacks and juice and offer them to the patient's families.

Some people just cold call every doctor's office and hospital in the phone book and ask about shadowing. You are going to hear a lot of 'no' for every 1 'yes' you get.

I don't have a lot of shadowing either and I'm trying to work on that. I shadowed the one MD friend I have in town, but that's all.