Volunteering abroad as dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all dentists & dentist 2 B,

I have the intentions of doing some volunteer work as a dentist for around a one week period . I want to do this most probably during a break I will take in the spring of 2005, however, the application deadlines for a lot of these missions are in the fall of this year. I wanted to know if anyone has ever participated in these expeditions and if so, if they would be nice enough to share their experiences or be able to suggest the name of organizations that are looking for dentists.

Specific pertinent questions:

What is the minimal length of time?
Which languages are needed ?
What amount of experience is required ?
Is the cost of travel ,insurance and accomodation covered by the volunteer or the organization?
Are reference letters required?
What other health professionals are part of the health care team?
What type of equipment is available to the dentist?
Is knowledge of tropical medicine a requirement?

Here is a list of organizations of interest for the dentist volunteer...any others to add?
www.medico.org/html/calendar.html
www.operationsmile.org
www.doctorwithoutborders.org
www.fdoamerica.org/index.html
www.flyingsamaritans.org/international_site/web/get_involved.shtml
www.hvousa.org
www.ada.org/ada/international/volunteer/overseas.asp
www.dvou.org/getinvolved.html

Thanks for any helpful information/suggestions :thumbup:
Smilemaker100

I, the fiery light of divine wisdom,
I ignite the beauty of the plains,
I sparkle the waters.
I burn the sun and the moon and the stars,
With wisdom I order all rightly.
I adorn the earth.
I am the breeze that nurtures all things green.
I am the rain coming from the dew
That causes the grasses to laugh
With the joy of life.
I call forth tears, the aroma of holy work.
I am the yearning for good.

-Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)

Members don't see this ad.

I do have experience doing dentistry abroad. Unfortunately, I can't answer most of those questions. I went to an orphanage in the mountains about 75 miles from Mexico City. It was through a program at my school (UNC) that has sent a group of students for the last 17 years. I actually just got back a week ago, we were down there 1 month. The only thing I can say is that it was one of the best experiences of my life and if you have the chance to do any of them I would jump at it. We basically lived with the children, ate with them, did everything w/ them. We provided dental work for about 6 hours a day during the week.

Good luck if you do decide to go on any of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
DcS said:
I do have experience doing dentistry abroad. Unfortunately, I can't answer most of those questions. I went to an orphanage in the mountains about 75 miles from Mexico City. It was through a program at my school (UNC) that has sent a group of students for the last 17 years. I actually just got back a week ago, we were down there 1 month. The only thing I can say is that it was one of the best experiences of my life and if you have the chance to do any of them I would jump at it. We basically lived with the children, ate with them, did everything w/ them. We provided dental work for about 6 hours a day during the week.

Good luck if you do decide to go on any of those.

Sounds like "my cup of tea"- hanging out with kids- and being a kid again ! :D (but of course acting like a professional dentist at the same time)
Once I get a few things out of the way in the next few weeks, I am going to work on that spanish ....I keep procrastinating :thumbdown: I have to make time for that!!!!