Volunteering Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to Turkey in March. Is it worthwhile to pick up any volunteering activities while abroad?

Members don't see this ad.

Going to Turkey in March. Is it worthwhile to pick up any volunteering activities while abroad?

Depends how long you're there. If you have enough time to do something meaningful (no less than 1 month) and you have connections to get setup, I'd recommend it. (Also helps if you speak the language). IDK what your situation is, but speaking as someone with a mediocre GPA of 3.5 and an MCAT of 506, I don't think I would have gotten an acceptance to medical school without my copious amounts of abroad work. Having said that I did my abroad work in an eastern European country where I understood the language and the people. Turkey may be a whole different animal for you. But don't discount the value unique experiences!

Depends how long you're there. If you have enough time to do something meaningful (no less than 1 month) and you have connections to get setup, I'd recommend it. (Also helps if you speak the language). IDK what your situation is, but speaking as someone with a mediocre GPA of 3.5 and an MCAT of 506, I don't think I would have gotten an acceptance to medical school without my copious amounts of abroad work. Having said that I did my abroad work in an eastern European country where I understood the language and the people. Turkey may be a whole different animal for you. But don't discount the value unique experiences!
I speak Turkish. It's my second language. My GPA is fine.