volunteering abroad!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady bug

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm really interested in volunteering in a third-world country health care setting this summer for about two weeks. I wanted to ask ya'll two things:
1) Will this help me get more noticed by the admissions committee if I have just average stats?
2) Are there any good programs that ya'll have heard of or worked with? I've already heard of CCS, but it seems like their prices are ridiculous.
I would really appreciate some insight on this. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome!
Go for it. I should PM you but I'm lazy. I think the politically correct term is "Developing nation" and not "3rd World country". In anycase, it is quite expensive to travel. Just the airline ticket alone will cost about $1,500. There are several other less expensive ways to get noticed by the adcoms. If you're really keen on volunteering abroad, send me a PM. :)

Cheers

Thank you Original! You're so nice. Well I'm not sure how to PM you...I'm new to SDN....but do let me know how I can send you a message. I'd like to find out some more info. about this. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
puddin,

"To send someone a private message, look for the private message icon on a post a person creates." In other words, just click on the evelope looking icon right above original's post. hope this helps.

Hi puddin, welcome to SDN! :D

I'm majoring in Latin American Studies and Spanish, and I also wanted to go abroad, but didn't have the chance (my mommy missed me).

So I lived at home last summer and volunteered at a clinic, although, it was the next best thing to going abroad. It was a free clinic for Hispanic migrant farmworkers--the clinic was entirely Spanish speaking, and I learned everything--about culture, how to translate, and I got to directly interact with doctors and patients, not just observe. I see that you are from Orlando---the clinic is in Boynton Beach, FL. Although you may have your heart set on going abroad, this was a great experience and could be an alternative option for you. I have less than desirable mcat scores, but I think this experience has helped me get interviews.

If you want specific info on the clinic (or anything else!), send me a PM (that's the little icon above with an envelope, and it means private message)

good luck to you!

Check out <a href="http://www.cfhi.org" target="_blank">www.cfhi.org</a>

I went on their Ecuador and India programs. It was great!

hi Puddin--
I think volunteering abroad not only helps with getting noticed but also to strengthen your personal outlook. I volunteered last summer in India and it was an unforgetable experience. However I think you should think about doing something longer than 2 weeks. You should not do it just for the sake of doing it...

Hey Puddin,
Check your PM.

CCS is actually very good and their prices aren't that bad. it is expensive to travel, period! i went to ghana with CCS and it was amazing. like taking a vacation while spending how ever much time i wanted volunteering in a clinic. volunteers were very well taken care of. we did alot of cool stuff.
there is stuff you learn traveling aboard that you would never ever learn in the US. i encourage you to go and go with CCS.
adcoms certainly did notice!!!!!!! (like everyone else said...you can do other things to get noticed...blah, blah blah....but i think you would have alot of fun and learn alot being in another country)

The one that I will probably go with this coming summer (accepted or not!) is Volunteers for Peace. check it at <a href="http://www.vfp.org" target="_blank">www.vfp.org</a>

Best part is you can put in the dates you're available and it will return what programs/trips are offered in that period of time. The prices are VERY reasonable for the length and what they include. As original said though, you gotta dish out the flow for the plane ticket. Hey Original, where IS the best place to get a ticket for say, Dar Es salaam, Tanzania?

USef,
You should get a KLM or swissair. They'll take you through Europe and the total travel time would be about 24 hrs. Don't purchase the tickets directly from the airlines. I can give you a list of travel agents that sell at almost half the airline quoted prices. It is only AFTER this discount that the price settles at $1,200 -$1,600 range. It's crazy!

Someone e-mailed me about volunteer work but I deleted the e-mail by accident before replying. Please e-mail me again or PM me!

sorry!