volunteering abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grumpy Bear

not even a little grumpy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do some clinically related volunteering abroad (possibly central or south america to brush up on my spanish skills?). Specifically, I'm thinking of taking a week or two off of work this fall, but need some leads on some programs available for someone like me (have a BA, hopefully starting M1 in '04). Does anyone know of any programs or people I can contact for a one or two week medical volunteer trip (ideally secular)? Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Belize with this group. I had an awesome time and got some really great experience. If you want some more info on it, just PM me

www.servir.org

I went to Tanzania with Cross Cultural Solutions, but they do trips to many different countries.

Their trips are geared around three week blocks.

Check them out at www.crossculturalsolutions.org

I had an amazing experience...

Members don't see this ad :)
just a quick question for you that volunteered abroad:

Did you guys travel alone or go with a friend? What do you suggest?

thanks.

Thanks guys, these programs all seem really great. Anyone else have any experiences to share?

Hi

What were your health care experiences for the ones who went to the trip? Thanks.

If some of these trips mentioned are only 3 weeks long (like Crosscultural Solutions)...is it really even worth listing that on an AMCAS app? I know people do these trips so they can experience other cultures, help disadvantaged people, gain some self-fulfillment, etc. However, would any medical school admissions commitee actually care that you spent 3 weeks in **insert 3rd world nation here** to build irrigation ditches, build schools, work at a free clinic, etc. Since medical school admissions commitees are always stressing that they're seeking applicants who have IN-DEPTH involvement in extra-curriculars...would spending 3 weeks helping folks in an African country really be seen as "in-depth?" If you spent a year or more there, I could definitely understand seeing as that shows a commitment to aiding the disadvantaged and it also proves that you have some altruistic qualities. However, spending 2 or 3 weeks seems like a really shallow involvement and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable listing that on an application.

So your saying that you have spent years of time volunteering?
I mean not part time, but true years off your life?
totaly unneccasary.

I could see one week of volunteering in an <insert third world country> having just as much an effect on you as volunteering for a year in the US. It goes both ways, you get out what you put in. If you are doing it for resume cred then don't do it.

One week of volunteering in a 3rd world nation would not just equal one year of volunteering in the US. You can't just setup ratios like this to quantify someone's extra-curricular involvements. As for volunteering just for "resume credit"...Person A who volunteers for 3 years as a health worker in a free clinic in Nigeria just so they could add it to his application gets the same amount of credit as Person Bwho also volunteered at the same clinic in Nigeria for 3 years just because he wanted to help the disadvantaged. Didn't both of the aformentioned volunteers do the same work? Didn't they serve the same amount of time in Nigeria? The underlying motivation is completely irrelevant to your abilities to carry out your duties as a health worker and as long as you fulfill your obligation and do the best job you can...the disadvantaged people that you're helping in **insert 3rd world nation here** still receive the help they need. Your underlying motivation for volunteering does not change the fact that you have positively impacted your world and helped those that are less fortunate. I have just as much respect for the guy who did it so he can write about it in his application as the guy who did it because he wanted to help others. As for Pesron A who did the volunteering so he can include it in his apps...that shows an enormous amount of committment, dedication, and hard work. As for Person B, I'm sure he'll die a very content individual.

I spent time volunteering in Uganda, and it sucked. There were plenty of hostile citizens and my group got plenty of dirty looks. If you enjoy getting insect bites, sleeping in a hot, humid, rotten tent, and living in what can best be described as hell, go right ahead. I would suggest doing meaningful volunteer work in the US. It's easier, it will get you into medical school (assuming everything else is up to par), and it will save you a lot of hassle.

I think there's one thing that you forgot Squat N Squeeze...no one really cares about your volunteering experience. And I doubt anyone here even believes that you volunteered in Uganda. And if you did drag your own dumba** to Uganda...which organization/group did you go with? In addition, how long was your stay in Uganda? Like most things you post on this forum, it's complete fecal matter and your experience is certainly not representative of the typical experience of the American volunteer abroad. Many of the African natives welcome volunteers from any country because their local officials were the ones who requested the help in the first place. We wouldn't be there if they didn't need our help and didn't explicitly ask for it. Think about this for a moment Squat N Squeeze, you blithering idiot.

I volunteered with Global Volunteer Network, which is based in New Zealand. I spent almost a month in Uganda during a summer. I worked with primary healthcare and education, HIV/AIDS counseling, and community development. The whole package cost me just under $1000. Honestly, it was worth it for my application, but I wouldn't do it again. While most people were friendly, there were some locals who did not seem to welcome my group. The overall experience was not enjoyable.

To Squat N Squeeze: If the members of your group thought that the overall experience was "not enjoyable"...it wasn't because of Uganda or its "hostile residents"...it was because they actually had to be there for 1 month with you. If I was there with an idiot like you..I'd probably get irritable too and I'm sure the presence of your dumb*** would limit my enjoyment of the experience.

I spent a week in Ecuador volunteering with a medical program...I will probably list it on my app. It was supposed to be a month-long program, but I left early due to some bad circumstances (indifferent and, I felt, misprepresented program staff, and I was robbed so I had no money). I don't feel like it was necessarily a life-changing experience, but it was interesting and I definitely learned a lot. The week I was there I spent at a maternity hospital, which was certainly eye-opening. Also, I know one of my recommenders mentioned it in her letter and it would probably look strange if I don't say anything about it in my app.

I am a little unsure as to how to describe it though. I certainly don't want to over-emphasize it, I know it was only a week, but if I'm going to list it I probably shouldn't downplay it either. Also, I am not exactly on great terms with the program staff (disagreement over money), so I am little unsure who to list as a contact person. I've heard those rarely get checked anyway though. Also, I don't really want to get into the difficulties I had with the program in my app or an interview, as that will just sound negative. Should I even mention that it was supposed to be a longer program, or just talk about the week I spent there and leave it at that? I'm leaning towards the latter option.

Based on my experience, I would strongly advise anyone planning a trip abroad with an organization to carefully research the program you are going with--don't just rely on what they tell you. After checking out the website and speaking with the program and a couple of people who had gone on trips with them before, I thought I knew what I was getting into--I didn't. Make sure you speak with people who have RECENTLY participated in the SAME program (same location, etc) that you are considering, the organization sending you should be able to supply names of people willing to discuss their experience, although if at all possible I would try to find people on your own as they are likely to be more representative and honest than people the program refers you to. These programs aren't cheap and before you put out the money, make sure it is right for you and clarify their refund policy with them (such as how money will be handled if you have to leave due to illness or emergency). Some of the organizations that send students on these types of programs are responsible and well-organized, and some aren't, make sure you know for sure which type you're getting involved with. Finally, I would say go with a friend or someone you know if you can, and try to go to a country in which you are conversant in the language--trust me, being alone and unable to communicate in a third-world country is a difficult and sometimes dangerous experience, and if you are planning to rely on the organization that sends you for support you may be disappointed.