Volunteering Advice? URM 3.34cGPA/3.1sGPA/4.0 SMP GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uchihastan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I'd really appreciate some advice.

I am currently working full time as an MA at an ortho clinic. The experience has been wonderful. I finished undergrad w/ a 3.34 uGPA and 3.1 sGPA. I spent the following year in a 1 year SMP (graduate certificate program) and got a 4.0. I am now prepping for my MCAT that I will take in April 2022 to apply during the 2022 cycle. I am predominantly interested in MD schools, but am absolutely including DO schools in my list as well.

Here is where I'm stuck- volunteering hours. With COVID, a lot of the more "obvious" choices for volunteering are not as easily available as before. I am mainly interested in working with animals as well as LGBTQ+ youth and/or other minority groups. Since I no longer have to worry about figuring out how to get clinical volunteering/hours due to my job, it leaves me with the question about volunteering. I'd appreciate any and all advice about getting creative, as I am eager to help my community and am just in need of some ideas on what to pursue. Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

How about homeless shelters, soup kitchens, sports leagues for underprivileged kids, rec centers for children/adults with disabilities ( called Special Recreation Programs where I live in Chicago and surrounding areas), visiting vets at VA centers, volunteering at a hospice .etc. There are lots of opportunities if you look. And it seems that places and programs like I’ve listed are welcoming volunteers despite the pandemic.
Good luck and always remember your focus has to be the MCAT. Don’t take it until you are ready even if you have to put off applying another year.

Reactions: 2 users
I am mainly interested in working with animals as well as LGBTQ+ youth and/or other minority groups.
You have to expand your interests. No excuse. There's plenty of volunteer opportunities even in the middle of a pandemic if you look hard enough (food pantries, meals on wheels, habitat for humanity etc). With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, local food distribution centers will need extra hands. You will need at least 150 non-clinical volunteer hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to expand your interests. No excuse. There's plenty of volunteer opportunities even in the middle of a pandemic if you look hard enough (food pantries, meals on wheels, habitat for humanity etc). With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, local food distribution centers will need extra hands. You will need at least 150 non-clinical volunteer hours.
Absolutely. These are all wonderful ideas, I am going to start applying/calling your suggestions as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your advice!

How about homeless shelters, soup kitchens, sports leagues for underprivileged kids, rec centers for children/adults with disabilities ( called Special Recreation Programs where I live in Chicago and surrounding areas), visiting vets at VA centers, volunteering at a hospice .etc. There are lots of opportunities if you look. And it seems that places and programs like I’ve listed are welcoming volunteers despite the pandemic.
Good luck and always remember your focus has to be the MCAT. Don’t take it until you are ready even if you have to put off applying another year.
I really like all of these ideas. And yes, absolutely, I've enrolled in a 6 month MCAT course because I know I need a lot of time to review. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me advice :)

Reactions: 1 user
The Trevor Project is online but better for a long term commitment and I believe they require at least 6 months or 1 year of service. But it's been a great experience for me as a very queer formerly suicidal former youth to help kids in that same circumstance.

You have to do a 40 hour training over 10 weeks before you start talking to real people, but honestly it's been amazing. I've helped actively talk down 3 people from killing themselves while on the chat service with me (in conjunction with licensed mental health counselors and intervention by local EMS in one circumstance). I've helped tons of others plan how to come out to their parents, work up the courage to ask someone out, or just talked about what they want their life to look like as an adult. I've been volunteering there since June.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users