Feb 15, 2010
Columbus,OH
Status
Pre-Medical
I go to the biggest freakin school in the world, and in order to volunteer at any hospital/medically-related institution, its a a hhhuuugggeee, several month process in which they select a few people to actually volunteer.

My GPA is solid, I have 6yrs direct patient contact experience, im just trying to get a few hundred hours or so volunteer work in before summer 2012 (when I am applying).

Does anyone have any suggestions? maybe something off the beaten path?

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You have a ton of clinical experience already, so I would do something non-clinical for volunteering. I'm in a similar boat. I have about 100 hours from volunteering at a cat rescue my freshman year of college, and about 3000 hours of clinical experience, but not much else for volunteering/community service. I am going to start as a volunteer GED tutor (tonight, actually) though my local library.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
^:thumbup:

If you really have 6 yrs of clinical experinece, you don't need to volunteer in a hospital. Leave that for those who haven't done anything clinical yet.

google find volunteer opportunities in [state] and you'll find lots of links that should help you find something.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Local food banks, meals on wheels, homeless organizations, community beautification, and all sorts of local volunteer organizations are always looking for help. Completely non-selective, and great experience which really helps people (unlike a lot of official hospital volunteer spots).

Your BEST course of action is to start your own gig. Find a need in your community and figure out a way to fill it. Raise funds, pound the pavement, and get something started. Get other students involved. It will be extremely impressive to adcoms if you are a volunteer leader and a self-starter. IMO, 5 hours a week in an activity like this will be a lot more impressive than hundreds of hours pushing around the book cart in the hospital.

Nov 25, 2009
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
I agree with the above advice, but if you're still looking for more clinical experience, you could try looking for a free clinic for uninsured people in your area. I'm volunteering with one in my hometown right now, and it's a way better deal than any hospital volunteering I've done...since it's small, free, and independent I get to do real patient care stuff, instead of pushing carts, etc. at a hospital. I take blood pressures, temperatures, height/weight, etc. before the nurses see the patients. :thumbup: Plus, it shows you care about the plight of the uninsured who cannot afford a hospital stay. :thumbup: :thumbup: