SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Volunteering and Hopeful for a pgy1 residency

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Residencies and Fellowships' started by glhm93, May 15, 2014.

1. glhm93

glhm93 5+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I plan on volunteering in a non-profit hospital pharmacy this summer and continuing during the school year. I just finished my P1 and will be entering my P2 come Fall'14. My question is are residency programs appreciative of those who volunteer or those that hold paid positions. I understand many of you will come at me saying GET A JOB! I would especially be appreciative of hearing of success stories of people who landed a residency with pure volunteer experience. Thanks in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. radio frequency

radio frequency 5+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Why aren't you doing both?

4. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2006
    East
    Being a paid employee is better than a volunteer. We don't count volunteer experience as work experience. You don't have the same level of responsibility.

5. SJM71694

SJM71694 2+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I got a residency with pure volunteer experience. I did everything else I was supposed to with high grades, challenging clinical rotations, leadership positions including a student organization president, a Midyear poster, and great references. I rationalized my choice to not work as that I would be working as a pharmacist for the rest of my life, so when else am I going to have 3 months off to travel, visit family and friends, and just relax? I enjoy volunteering in many arenas outside of just pharmacy and loved the freedom I had to work with several organizations during school and my summer months.

Do I think I missed out on some interviews because of not working? Absolutely! I don't however regret any of the choices I made in school. In the end, I got the residency I wanted and am perfectly happy.