Volunteering and Hopeful for a pgy1 residency

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Residencies and Fellowships' started by glhm93, 05.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. glhm93

glhm93 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I plan on volunteering in a non-profit hospital pharmacy this summer and continuing during the school year. I just finished my P1 and will be entering my P2 come Fall'14. My question is are residency programs appreciative of those who volunteer or those that hold paid positions. I understand many of you will come at me saying GET A JOB! I would especially be appreciative of hearing of success stories of people who landed a residency with pure volunteer experience. Thanks in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. radio frequency

radio frequency 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Why aren't you doing both?

4. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Being a paid employee is better than a volunteer. We don't count volunteer experience as work experience. You don't have the same level of responsibility.

5. SJM71694

SJM71694 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got a residency with pure volunteer experience. I did everything else I was supposed to with high grades, challenging clinical rotations, leadership positions including a student organization president, a Midyear poster, and great references. I rationalized my choice to not work as that I would be working as a pharmacist for the rest of my life, so when else am I going to have 3 months off to travel, visit family and friends, and just relax? I enjoy volunteering in many arenas outside of just pharmacy and loved the freedom I had to work with several organizations during school and my summer months.

Do I think I missed out on some interviews because of not working? Absolutely! I don't however regret any of the choices I made in school. In the end, I got the residency I wanted and am perfectly happy.

About the ads