Volunteering as a Hearth Health Coach. Is it worth it for residency applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dubba7

Reaction score
I wanted to apply to volunteer for this nonprofit organization: South Asian Heart Center. It assists south asian patients manage their coronary artery disease and diabetes with the guidance of Heart health coaches (volunteers). Participants first get their lab tests done with their physician. They have a choice whether or not they want to join. After their test reports are available, the heart health coaches (volunteers) review them with them over the phone and come up with a plan to manage their diabetes and CAD with lifestyle modifications. They consist of Meditation, Exercise, Diet, and Sleep (MEDS). They follow up with the participant via phone calls throughout this process to make sure they are on track and reaching their goals. Clinical interns also conduct 40 minute calls for participants annually to see if they are still compliant.

I think this will help me build my clinical "counseling" skills and communicating with patients even though there is no real patient contact. I'm not sure though if it will really benefit me in terms of residency applications (Peds/EM/FM). (I have some clinical experience. I've done an observership and an externship.)

Should I go for it? Any genuine advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like an awesome program--you should do it whether it helps or not!!

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like an awesome program--you should do it whether it helps or not!!
Thank you for you reply! I decided to give it a shot, better than sitting at home! :)

I think volunteering there would help for a college application, maybe for med school, definitely not for residency applicants
Thank you for you reply! I forgot to mention that I'm a U.S. IMG so do you think in that case it would help?

Flatly, no. This does nothing to that you would be able to perform the functions of a resident.

If you're sitting around doing nothing, this is fine. But you need to keep looking for more traditional USCE.

Research or clinical experience are pretty much the only things that help