volunteering at a hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamloverXx

over the rainbow
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
i am trying to look for some volunteering opportunities at hospitals but most of the opportunities are like helping with recreations, delivering mails, helping the patients to test rooms, etc. I don't see anything about assisting a dentist...Would volunteering to do the activities above be helpful for dental school admissions?
Also, I am a dental assistant. Do I still need to shadow?
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone,
i am trying to look for some volunteering opportunities at hospitals but most of the opportunities are like helping with recreations, delivering mails, helping the patients to test rooms, etc. I don't see anything about assisting a dentist...Would volunteering to do the activities above be helpful for dental school admissions?
Thank you in advance.
i m doin voluntary work at hospital & basically what i do is discharge patients, take specimens to lab, take patient from one room to another, deliver flowers etc basically floor work...that is not exactly realted to dental but it still helps my communicating skills...because i have to talk to patients & take care of them....i learn how to start conversation out of nowhere to a stranger who i just met befoe 5 secs...& to make them feel comfortable...which is kind of what dentist do...plus it looks good in application & shows that u care about ur community. And since u r an assistant i dont think u need to do shadowing unless lets say if u r working for a gen. dentist & u want to see what goes on in a speciality clinic eg. orthodontic, oral surgeon etc. then u mite wana try it out! i hope this helps!

There was a thread a couple weeks ago where someone said that with 10 years of assitant experience they were accepted to D-school with two years of undergrad. As an assistant I would say the only reason to shadow would be to expose yourself to other areas of practice, different offices, and different specialties.
Volunteering at a hospital is great. You get to learn how to behave in a healthcare setting and you get to hone patient and family contact skills. Plus, it's volunteer time. Plus you get to do some good for some people who need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably have enough experience through dental assisting. I volunteered at hospitals, received my EMT-Basic-Defibrillation training, volunteered at the Red Cross, started a medical fraternity. I don't know if ANY of that helped! As a matter of fact, when I volunteered at the local VA hospital, they had me reminding patients of their appointments (yawn), transporting blood from the pathology lab and to top this off, opening occult blood cards (stool samples) and recording the information down on their (biohazard) computer! Oh, the life I have lived! :rolleyes: Summary of my life...work, blood and poop...but I have mad skills at using the difibrillator... white to right, red to ribs, what's left over to the left shoulder.

hello everyone,
Thank you in advance.

just remember that it SEEMS that adcoms dont care what you did as long as you were volunteering/helping out in the community...shows you care, want to help, like people, are personable, etc..

i also think you are getting enough shadowing as an assistant, so on the app you can put both together...youre all set.