Volunteering at a private pracetice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it is just as good if I volunteer at a private practice as opposed to a hospital? Will the adcoms give different weight to this?

Also is it okay if I volunteer at a medical office as opposed to a dental one?

It's just that there is one righ tnext door to me and I=they are very nice and I can help them out on the weekends which works very well because I work weekdays. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Any medical experience is benefitial, but are you trying to get into med school or dental school? A lot of school require you to have a certain amount of hours of dental experience. Plus, if you are trying to get into dental school, I would recommend making a sacrifice and traveling a little bit to a dental office and shadowing a dentist. If you were to get an interview, how would you explain that you had experience shadowing a physician, but not a dentist. If you told the truth and said because the physician was right next door to me, they might sense a lack of motivation to seek out a dentist you could shadow.

just my thoughts.

Exactly. And lemme tell you, ppl from the dental field usually don't like someone with a medical intent. It's a fact, and pls don't bang me on this.

Im sorry I wasnt more clear.
I am a re-applicant and had no volunteer experience last year. I shadowed 3 different dentists for 1000s of hours and I love it. I also did a dental externship program and I am currently working full time....

I just thought that by volunteering this summer would improve that part of my application...

So do you guys think volunteering at a private med office is any different than volunteering at a hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you already have more than enough EC with that 1000 hrs. Maybe try to improve other aspects of your app?

Just my 2 cents

I am studying for the DAT again but I wanted to increase my volunteer hours because it is currently at 0.
I put my shadow hours and externship under dental experience.

Not really sure what other volunteering you have done besides dental, but you should consider doing research as volunteer work. Admission committees like to see it.

Not really sure what other volunteering you have done besides dental, but you should consider doing research as volunteer work. Admission committees like to see it.

where can you find out how to get invovled with such research? and is it better than getting dnetal experience?