Volunteering at Many Different Hospitals or Just One?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkm111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
not sure if this matters too much, but Is it preferred to get volunteer experience at many different hospitals/locations or consistently at one location?

I'm doing research at my university's medical center which is technically volunteer since I'm not getting paid, and I want to volunteer in the ER. would it seem like i'm too limited to one place/university if i do both there?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

not sure if this matters too much, but Is it preferred to get volunteer experience at many different hospitals/locations or consistently at one location?

I'm doing research at my university's medical center which is technically volunteer since I'm not getting paid, and I want to volunteer in the ER. would it seem like i'm too limited to one place/university if i do both there?

thanks
IMO, It wouldn't make much sense to cross county/city lines if you can get great and diverse experiences at one institution such as a university.

It's fine to do both at the same institution. After you've spent a lot of time in the ER, you might consider rotating to another department or two, depending on the time you have left before applying. This gives you a chance to meet docs you can ask for shadowing opportunities too, if you haven't done that yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I could easily do ER volunteering at another hospital since there are many nearby but I guess it doesn't really matter? i guess it's a question of dedication to one place vs. putting down more names

I can't imagine that matters in even the slightest. No adcom will pick through your app to that extent.